Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Results out!) CW 4x3 Game Contest!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 28, 2015, 11:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

That would be nice. A Rogue-like would entirely be possible, assuming you went Illusiat 1 style. :)

Quote from: Unicorn on May 09, 2015, 03:25:26 AM
Ya know what would be cool? A garageband type program.
Yes. The issue though is that people usually insist in making trackers where you don't hear the notes you are inserting, and people tend to see them as less user-friendly. Add the fact not many people are interested enough in calc music to purchase the required adapters, this reduces trackers audience even further. Some people prefer trackers, though.

But that's for another topic since that isn't contest-eligible.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Unicorn

It could be if the judges used headphones...

How many entries are there now?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

JWinslow23

Hi guys!

Long time Omnimagician, first time CodeWalrus :3= . Some of you may recognize me. To those people, I say, long time no see :P

Formalities aside, I have an idea for this contest...Bitty Bird! (I have no better name.) I'll get started! ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya, welcome to the forums. And yes we saw each others before :P. I am curious about your idea. Hopefully you can pull off some interesting game into that resolution that rivals the TI-80. :)

On a side note, we have a member introductions thread located at http://codewalr.us/32 . You should say hi there and tell other users about yourself or your past releases and hobbies :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 11, 2015, 10:06:29 PM
Heya, welcome to the forums. And yes we saw each others before :P. I am curious about your idea. Hopefully you can pull off some interesting game into that resolution that rivals the TI-80. :)

On a side note, we have a member introductions thread located at http://codewalr.us/32 . You should say hi there and tell other users about yourself or your past releases and hobbies :)
Will do. ;)

Oh, and I actually just finished. 3 different versions, actually. Would it be fine if, in TI-84+ BASIC, there is a 1-pxl border around the play area, and 3x size pixels in the play area? Because if so, that is definitely the version I'm submitting.

And the game? Just a Flappy Bird clone. It was the first actual game idea I had that I could make into a monochrome 4x3 game :P . But to be honest, I'm actually proud of it  :thumbsup:

Unicorn

Make a topic with some screenshots so we can answer!

Also, make a special feature for originality. ;)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

JWinslow23

Quote from: Unicorn on May 12, 2015, 05:02:36 AM
Make a topic with some screenshots so we can answer!

Also, make a special feature for originality. ;)
As soon as I can, I'll post a topic.

And as for features: can I have selectable difficulty? Easy, Normal, and NIGH IMPOSSIBLE?

Dream of Omnimaga

Unfortunately you cannot add a border. But it's fine if the game isn't 100% full screen (although if the language you use supports it then this can lead to slightly lower score, as mentionned in the news post and scoring rubric.)

For difficulty you could make the menu as squares I guess and make easy blue, normal green and hard red since you can't use text (unless the text is made of 3x3 characters filling the entire screen or something)

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 12, 2015, 05:24:37 AM
Unfortunately you cannot add a border. But it's fine if the game isn't 100% full screen (although if the language you use supports it then this can lead to slightly lower score, as mentionned in the news post and scoring rubric.)

For difficulty you could make the menu as squares I guess and make easy blue, normal green and hard red since you can't use text (unless the text is made of 3x3 characters filling the entire screen or something)
The game is in regular TI-84+ BASIC. Though it technically "supports" full screen "pixels", it would be a pain to implement, and it would be so slow it'd be unplayable. So my game is not full screen; each pixel in the game board is 3 square pixels on the screen itself. Also, since it's hard to tell where the boundaries for the box are, I added them as a one-pixel-thick rectangle around the board.

And for the menu, I should probably just do numbers, selectable with the arrow keys.

Snektron

Maybe you can use some kind of ASM lib, to make the drawing faster?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JWinslow23 on May 12, 2015, 05:39:10 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 12, 2015, 05:24:37 AM

The game is in regular TI-84+ BASIC. Though it technically "supports" full screen "pixels", it would be a pain to implement, and it would be so slow it'd be unplayable. So my game is not full screen; each pixel in the game board is 3 square pixels on the screen itself. Also, since it's hard to tell where the boundaries for the box are, I added them as a one-pixel-thick rectangle around the board.

And for the menu, I should probably just do numbers, selectable with the arrow keys.

You could use pre-rendered pictures, Illusiat 1-style, or  an ASM/Axe lib as Cumred suggests. Another alternative is a plain black picture combined with the Text(-1 trick which are all fast enough.  Or since you are quite experienced in Axe, then you could use Axe altogether.

Dream of Omnimaga

So yeah, only 12 days left to work on your entries (deadline is May 31st 2015, 11:59 PM, GMT), so if you have finished them, don't forget to submit them at the     c o n t e s t @ c o d e w a l r . u s    e-mail address, preferably in a zip/rar archive and of course with the readme and files. If you aren't done yet, then don't wait until the last minute! :)

Unicorn

hehe, I waited till the last minute for the cemetech contest. :P

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 20, 2015, 05:05:07 AM
If you aren't done yet, then don't wait until the last minute! :)

lol. I always end up procrastinating up to the last minute, then finish everything in panic mode. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm