Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks :). I have replaced the Recent Topics blocks with a custom SimplePortal block by Blue from SimplePortal Forums. I made everything in one line, removed the hr line separator and removed avatars, though. If we can't use Omnimaga's as replacement in the near future, I'll look into making the custom block so that it displays the board in which the topic is located

Not sure if it will look good on mobile, but at least it doesn't have that bug preventing it from displaying more than 31 topics. It does too many queries for my needs, though, so we might need to switch to something less resource-intensive asap.

ALso the Facebook/Twitter pages are going public soon, but not much will happen there yet since the RSS feed is invisible to guests.

EDIT: OmnomIRC bug: Topic change doesn't work (it changes Omnom topic but not the IRC chans).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It doesn't look bad. We still need that recent post module so it's a nice thing you put there.

Edit : oh well Noe it's bigger than the oost
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Hmmm the topic thing is because TopicWalrii is disabled. I need to enabled it and (h)op it on all three networks. :P Also pimath has chanserv ownership on freenode and Omninet so we need him for that. <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what PImath told me last night, although beforehand for some reasons he was against giving operator privileges to the bot. O.O (I guess it might be in case all other ops disconnect and only that bot keeps operator privileges, though.)

He really should transfer the channels because as +a on Omninet I can't even change permissions. >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Hi. I was checking the site and have to interject something. The OmnomIRC TopicWalrii is the new post bot aka the one that WalTopic (on efnet) will replace once it's Jan 1st and some code is uncommented). WalriiBot should get ops for topic changing, so yeah, I'll do that and I'll +a Street on both Freenode and Omninet.

Also stuff in my personal life is clearing up (which is why I've been able to work on the bot). Source code is here btw. (You need the gson libraries and PircBotX libraries to run, as per readme. Also the build.xml names it CDBot by default, since this is based on that project).
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Good luck pimath on your life stuff :) (also thanks a lot  ^^)

Yuki

I'll try to work on a more efficient solution that is deeply integrated with SMF once my semester ends on Monday. By then I may not be on much.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Hmmm, the problem is even though I have +a it doesn't mean I can edit chanserv permissions. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on December 13, 2014, 09:23:17 PM
I'll try to work on a more efficient solution that is deeply integrated with SMF once my semester ends on Monday. By then I may not be on much.
That would be an idea, except that Geekboy told me that Omni used to have that and it caused too many problems. Not sure what they use now, though.

Btw do you think you'll be able to fix Omnom lag? While it doesn't slow down the site anymore, I disabled the block anyway now because it only loads 10% of the time, although Omnom Full usually finishes loading (even if it takes a while) everytime. It will be easier to access the full block now.

ALso about the current New Posts block, another issue it has is that it doesn't support boards with titles that contains HTML. For example, I had to remove the span tag from the Staff board title for it to display fine.

novenary

Omnom loads all the time for me but it takes a while.

Dream of Omnimaga

For me it usually ranges between 5 seconds and 30 seconds, otherwise it just remains blank forever. As for sending text, it was somewhat faster last night, but that might be because nobody was online. I remember once when it took a minute to send something.

I am definitively curious about what goes on behind the scenes during an Omnom text sending. Does it just attempt to send it, then if it fails it plays ping pong until it does it fine?

novenary

That's a question for Sorunome, I have no idea how Omnom works as I didn't write it. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

He honestly doesn't know what could cause it actually. I suspect it has to do with setup from one ISP to another, tho, because Scipi has the same problem and my city's shopping mall doesn't.

Also a little update: The banner now has a small poem or something below, including the Coming Soon 2015 text.

novenary

Well I think the problem might be that browser -> server communication is kinda wonky, because that's basically the only thing that doesn't work well. It might also explain why it dumps the whole thing when a message is sent from IRC. Basically the client receives the message and then retries to send.

Dream of Omnimaga

In the worst case scenario, we can always write a modified version of Simpleportal shoutbox without the weird interface and using some script that relays the shoutbox with IRC and vice-versa.

Not that it's a serious issue right now, though. If we can't get lag fixed before site opening, there will be an IRC link in the navigation regardless, where you can access alternatives and OmnomIRC Full.

What we really need on opening day, though, is the post notifier online 24/7, a backup cron job as you planned to do, and for the weeks before a decent post+project update rate (so far the average is pretty good, except maybe this weekend).