Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

IMO they should be necessary only when downvoting.  I usually don't write much more for the vote than a post giving my opinion...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Quote from: Juju on November 29, 2014, 08:26:45 PM
Hehe, everyone likes when everything goes better than expected.

(inb4 we didn't even launched yet and we're more active than Omnimaga)

Edit: Wait, we are? I did the math and for the 18 days since the site creation until I write those lines:

Omnimaga posts: 1080
Omnimaga topics: 62
Codewalrus posts: 892
Codewalrus topics: 55
Number of days CW's been more active than Omni: 6 (33%)

Way to go, guys.
Factor in the number of people posting and we are effectively more acitve than omni members. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Factor in the members who are more active here than there! :p

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Eiyeron on November 30, 2014, 08:49:04 AM
IMO they should be necessary only when downvoting.

The main issue right now is that the karma mod lacks such feature. It's either mandatory reason for both or none at all.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok so robot.txt is gone now (unless there is another one elsewhere?). Although we are not sharing it ourselves the site will probably have some meta-tags soon too.

Also on Omni I decided to use the Walrii avatar that has the spikes power up to reduce confusion.

EDIT: I also got rid of the orange links in the site theme. I thought it kinda looked nice at first, but now that most stuff is green it looks a bit weird to just have those orange.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Maybe the blue should go away too. Also the pink text. <_<

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, I was wondering if I would ask you which was would have done that <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on December 01, 2014, 05:21:36 PM
Maybe the blue should go away too. Also the pink text. <_<
Do you mean the blue-gray-ish links for other links? I thought about making them green, but then I would need to change the CodeWalrus staff color. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Do you mean the breacrumb? It's quite useful in some times, but only some times... Nah, drop it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah those, as well as Quote, Modify, Remove, etc

Dream of Omnimaga

Custom site navigation has been implemented. Some links were moved under Forum or elsewhere and links to the site downloads section, as well as the external store, were added.

Unfortunately, unlike in SMF 1.1, in order to edit SMF 2.0 navigation, you must edit the SMF source files (subs.php). This could prevent site upgrades, although we will only see when SMF 2.0.10 is out. If that's the case, then either the navigation will have to be moved to index.template.php like in SMF 1.1 or it will need to be removed then implemented again and again during each upgrade.

However, this basically means that my todo list for urgent stuff has been processed entirely. The rest, written in bold purple, is under juju/Streetwalrus/pimath's hand. I still need to update a lot of stuff, but all of it is either non-urgent or cannot be done immediately.

By the way, thanks a lot to everyone who helped so far and others who voiced their opinion about possible site updates. Hopefully we can present a fully functional site on January 1st 2015. :)

On a side note: For all the non-staff members who were let into this website before opening, ever since this website project started the plan was that I would be solely Forum maintenance staff. In other words, I will admin board categories and stuff, but once this site opens to public, I won't be full moderator nor will I have full server access. I'll be more like some sort of CEO I guess, a position I am more comfortable (and stable) with. Had I been able to return to Omni administration back in 2012 (I ran Omni from Sept 2001 to July 2011, although my server privileges were reduced starting in Feb 2011 and mod privileges by May 2011), the lack of mod privileges would have been my condition, but unfortunately split usergroups happened too late, preventing such non-moderator admin position.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Idea : "PRAISE THE WALRII"

Note : this is pretty borken

Dream of Omnimaga

I never understood why text is sometimes enlarged and other times not on mobile browsers O.O

I'm gonna fix later.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron