Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[porting suggestion] Zombie Gun CE?

Started by Dudeman313, February 28, 2016, 03:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

If you've ever played squidgetx's Zombie Gun, you know it's super fun. What I want to do is port it, but that's pretty hard to do with no coding knowledge for the CE(or anything else :P).

This might be easier if Axe was ported to the CE, but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

If someone was going to do this, what language would be best for speed, looks, and fluency? I don't think xLIBC has smooth scrolling, so would it be best to use ez80 or C?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

It would be nice to see this game for the CE indeed and would probably not be too complicated to code, since all you do is move left and right and shoot stuff (although there is a shop). C would be their best bet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Ah, but there are also Achievements, Inventory, One-time savegames, spawning, pausing, easter eggs, ammo, jumping, zombies per wave, which zombies can spawn, health, zombie immunity, zombie evolution, waves, corner camping, and several other things to work out, like the pickups squidgetx never implemented.

It took 3 tries to get this right in Axe, 4 if you count Freyaday's Back From The Dead project, which I don't remember ever being finished.

It sounds like a big job to me, but I think I agree that C would be better. The only thing they'd have to worry about would be size-after all, 320x240 is a big change from 96x64. I'll try to resize a screen shot, proportionally if possible.
The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

Instead of making a multitude of posts about what games people should port, why don't you try to make some sort of game? I'm making Flood It, and I have never even made a piece of C code before that, aside from the one Hello World program I made. It is fairly simple to understand, in my opinion, and there are plenty of people ready to help :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

Alright; Maybe I can make Stick Ninja for my first coding project, but I think the difference between you and I is that you know how to code in other languages, whereas I don't. :blah:

I don't know what else I could do for a first; I wouldn't want to port something I don't enjoy. I also don't know how busy people are, or who knows what. I suppose I could try, but I wouldn't know where to start.
The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 28, 2016, 08:23:58 PM
I think the difference between you and I is that you know how to code in other languages, whereas I don't.
That is true, but I pretty much know TI BASIC and a little bit of Ruby, which is not at all like C

And for ideas, check this out: http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2012/02/20/i-need-practice-programming-49-ideas-for-game-clones-to-code/
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

Out of everything on that list, the only thing I'd like to do is Bloxorz. I am very picky when it comes to games; all of the games I like are complicated. :(
Maybe a C BlockDude might not be too hard? I don't know. Or maybe even and RPG.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

You can't start with a game. You need to make small programs where all you do is move left, right, up and down. THen you try to make a new program that is just a menu. Then you make a program that uses conditionals, loops and stuff. You have to experiment. Then one day you can put everything together. My first release ever was Labyrinth of Illusions, which was basically Illusiat 1 but with menu-based battles and full of ERR:MEMORY messages.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Help me then. Where can I find a good BASIC tutorial, preferably in pdf/txt format(so I can read on-calc) or tell me if there's a topic somewhere about such a thing. Or I'll make one, so that you can show me the BASICs ;D.
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

My guess is that you can use the ticalc.org 'Getting Started' TI-Basic guide, alternatively check out ti-basicdeveloper. The tutorials you'll find will be for TI-Basic for the z80 series, but I think the languages will be close enough.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

But this can't be done in Basic, and neither do I even own a graphing calculator anymore, but if anybody needs a project idea and can do this in C or ez80, please go right ahead! ;)
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I think this could theoretically be feasible using CE Textlib or xLIBCE, but there would need to be a big limit on how many zombies can show up at once on the screen and how many bullets can be fired at a time. And with CE Textlib, collision detection would be a problem anyway (speed-wise).

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 30, 2016, 04:10:09 PM
I think this could theoretically be feasible using CE Textlib or xLIBCE, but there would need to be a big limit on how many zombies can show up at once on the screen and how many bullets can be fired at a time. And with CE Textlib, collision detection would be a problem anyway (speed-wise).
That's true. How slow would Wal-rush CE Textlib be with collision detection?
The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

I think I might attempt this, but I'm not sure how I would keep track of all those differemt emtities. Would I need a variable or two for each one? And the scrolling... I think I sould hav the map just be one image.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Personally, the only solution I ever found for multiple enemies on the screen and collision in a game was to store enemy coordinates, state and other stats in a list, then when you walk around or shoot, scan the entire list every frame to check if  you are hitting anything. If bullets or yourself move slowly then you can probably get away with only scanning half of the enemies back and forth every frame to save speed. As for enemy movement you can always make them move one or two at a time.

Scrolling is not needed I think, but you could always just use 4 bits mode and scroll accross the part of the LCD buffer you are using. You can get nice colors in 4 bits mode with the proper palettes. You would then have 4 screens worth of scrolling. Good luck @Unicorn if you attempt this :)