Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PICO-8] Coffee Roguelike

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, April 21, 2015, 01:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Hello everyone, time for another project.

This time, I'm back into the genre that always inspired me, the roguelikes. Roguelikes are fun and can be made with the complexity you want. Something as realistic than Dwarf Fortress up to simple dungeon crawlers you will eat on the go. These latter games are coffee roguelikes, where a run shouldn't be too long (the time to drink a coffee).

So, what about the roguelike itself? I had a stupid idea based on the eternal choice : ASCII graphics or tileset graphics? What about both? The game will see its tileset evolve when you will get deeper into the evil depths until you get to the last. (I'm only showing a sample of the first three tilesets).

What about monsters? The game will be relatively simple to keep up with the "play in a few minutes", I currently have three enemies in mind, Goblins, Slimes, and Mr Battys (or Batties) if anyone got the reference of the latter! :)

The demo I will post first is totally unplayble : the dungeon generation is totally not done and you'll be trapped in the room with three goblins. I have so much to do and so few motivations. I wonder how the dungeon generation will be done and I think I'm going for a room grid based system to keep it simple.

Oh and please don't spoil the last tileset, please. Endgame purposes with some quirks and gameplay changes.

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Ivoah

Looks great! I can't wait to see what kind of games are made with PICO-8, it's so fun.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Snektron

They look quite cool, Eiyeron. Good job! ;D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh I like the idea. It reminds me a bit Nostalgia for the 84+ where there was a world with ASCII graphics and another with actual sprites, but in your case it becomes more and more graphical as you progress. Very original :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

I really like roguelikes, especially ones that employ new concepts (like how the tileset changes as you progress). I can't wait to play this.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

alexgt

Never thought of a game with graphics like that?! looks awesome :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Thanks. To explain the progress I did, I basically started to make a sort of level generator. It still have some quirks and and there but it gives me the result I expect : rooms, corridors and key locked doors.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean random level generation or an editor?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

I think he means a random generator.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. I am curious if such thing can run at good speed in PICO-8. Good luck in any case.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

GOt back on Pico. GOt a better start for dungeon generation (less buggy). Here's what I got at this moment on a test file.

Strontium

How do you do the dungeon generation? When I pick up my own Roguelike again, I was planning on using https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76929
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow that seems pretty fast actually per PICO standards. Do you still plan to include the various graphics and their evolution from ASCII to graphical as you progress?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Naaah, the ASCII graphics are there only because I wanted t ohave a biger view of the generated map. It's another cartridge independant of my roguelike as I want to try another ways for dungeon generation. THe gif is also slowed down because the room generation has a rogue cls() call which erase the vram and each digger step waited for 5 frames to be shown before progressing. So yeah, it's fast enough.