Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[CSE Hybrid Basic] Aqua Wars

Started by 123outerme, August 10, 2015, 01:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Well, here is some rough pseudo code for the compression I suggest.

currentMap * 9999 -> rand //seeds the rng.
If currentMap = 1:"compressed map 1"->str2 //format for compressed map: if the first value of a tile starts with o zero, then that tiles second value tells how many water tiles follow. If a tile does not start with zero, then it's just a normal tile. And I guess this means that tiles 00-0F will be reserved. Also more compression can be used, such as if you have less then 16 tiles, you can store the two tiles with two numbers.
If currentMap = 2:"compressed map 2"->str2
//ect...
For(every other char in str2, starting with the first one)
If char="0"
Then
//Insert x water tiles, where x is the the char following the current char. This may be hard to do, but is doable in tibasic. Simply get the position of nextChar in the string "0123456789ABCDEF" and loop that many times.
//let's say you have 3 different sprites for a water tiles. This is where the rand command comes in. Because it was seeded with the current map, going back and  forth between two maps will always yield the same water results.
Else
//copy this char and next char to str1
End
End

I hope you can follow this.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on August 19, 2015, 03:37:43 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 18, 2015, 09:33:33 PM
There are probably ways to compress data in basic explained on TIBD, but they are most likely very slow. You could always do what I did in FF:MF if your maps are simple, though.
How did you compress in FF:MF? ???

There's no compression in FF:MF. Each room is made of 8 chunks of walls/floors
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 20, 2015, 08:18:33 PM
There's no compression in FF:MF. Each room is made of 8 chunks of walls/floors
Oh, I thought you were suggesting that you compressed map data.
Quote from: c4ooo on August 20, 2015, 07:24:33 PM
Well, here is some rough pseudo code for the compression I suggest.

currentMap * 9999 -> rand //seeds the rng.
If currentMap = 1:"compressed map 1"->str2 //format for compressed map: if the first value of a tile starts with o zero, then that tiles second value tells how many water tiles follow. If a tile does not start with zero, then it's just a normal tile. And I guess this means that tiles 00-0F will be reserved. Also more compression can be used, such as if you have less then 16 tiles, you can store the two tiles with two numbers.
If currentMap = 2:"compressed map 2"->str2
//ect...
For(every other char in str2, starting with the first one)
If char="0"
Then
//Insert x water tiles, where x is the the char following the current char. This may be hard to do, but is doable in tibasic. Simply get the position of nextChar in the string "0123456789ABCDEF" and loop that many times.
//let's say you have 3 different sprites for a water tiles. This is where the rand command comes in. Because it was seeded with the current map, going back and  forth between two maps will always yield the same water results.
Else
//copy this char and next char to str1
End
End

I hope you can follow this.
I could turn that into real code. The only reason I haven't already is because I just downloaded Project M on my Wii X|
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on August 25, 2015, 10:44:54 PM
Anyways, DJ, do you think you could split the PM discussions stuff into it's own topic? Much appreciated!
Quote from: Unicorn on August 26, 2015, 02:43:44 AM
What needs to be 2gb? And do split the discussion @DJ Omnimaga
Done :P Project M discussion can now go there: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=677.0

I am curious if you found some time to work on this now? :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

I plan on working on this more today, and start by renaming Aqua Wars. I don't like that the A is gone anymore.
Also I'm terrible at naming games, as you can tell.

Unicorn

Ehh, I like the name better now :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

p4nix

Pirates of the 777 seas :D
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

I actually like the Aqua-Wars name myself, but something that refers more to pirate or ship battles would be nice as well.

Unicorn

Maybe there could be an aqu race in the game that are like the best class of crewmen. O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 01, 2015, 03:14:16 AM
I actually like the Aqua-Wars name myself, but something that refers more to pirate or ship battles would be nice as well.
I like the name change as well. I would love to change it to better suit the game, so I'll think of something.
This is unrelated but I was going to put a joke about internet piracy in one of the pirate mission debriefings. I probably will still, but I haven't gotten around to adding missions.
Quote from: Unicorn on September 01, 2015, 06:56:04 AM
Maybe there could be an aqu race in the game that are like the best class of crewmen. O.O
That's not a bad idea, but my only problem is that I could only add it and have it be good if it was a scripted event, with outcomes depending on the ship upgrades you've gotten. I don't think it would be a good event though, just because the main game is focused on fighting other ships, not racing.

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol, the internet piracy reference would be cool XD. Maybe a Limewire reference or something? (Although younger people probably won't know what Limewire was). Also racing probably doesn't have its place in this game. You could maybe implement missions and events with a countdown timer, though.