Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What instruments do you play/have you played?

Started by Vijfhoek, December 06, 2014, 11:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Vijfhoek on January 28, 2015, 06:56:09 PM
My advice: Get a used one.

I got a Jackson Kelly KE3 (24 frets) for €180 used (it retailed for about €700) in great state. I just had to clean it and replace the strings. Only thing that's wrong with it is that the tremolo is unstable, but I never use it anyway.
My only worry is that since the local pawn shop is mostly specialized into music instruments, I fear that they might charge much more than an actual new guitar or at least very close. Maybe I am wrong, though, but over here, most specialized stores are overpriced and in that pawn shop case, even if they were not specialized in music instruments, I noticed that most of their used games are expensive. For example, E.T for the Atari 2600 is $7.95 and they charge $10 for crappy N64 sports games.

That said,  another music store opened on the other side of the street so maybe they are being more careful with their prices now. I also got two other options in the old part of my city, but I think one only sells pianos, sax and such instruments.

Ideally I would like a guitar in good condition too, as in everything is working right and it doesn't look like it came out of a flooded basement.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Vijfhoek

I got mine from Marktplaats, a Dutch eBay-alike, except that products usually don't get shipped - the buyer usually drives to the seller, to try out the product.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah that's nice. I personally wouldn't use such service though because of my unpredictable work schedule. But it can be handy sometimes. I'll most likely buy my guitar at a brick and mortar store when time comes by.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Quote from: Vijfhoek on January 28, 2015, 07:21:01 PM
For some reason, things like Floyd Roses are often called tremolos, or trems. I'm not sure why, because indeed "tremolo" is a whole other effect....
It's still called a tremolo bar, though.
Also DJ the thing that really makes a thing like Marktplaats work is that NL is quite small, so you can drive almost everywhere and back within one day :P

Also, I found the biggest issue so far with my acoustic: The string tension is way too low x.x If I play loud, I get tons of buzzing, which sucks :( Luckily I'm not keeping this one. Found a good deal on a Squier Affinity starter set, consisting of guitar, bag, strap, and frontman10G amp for 200 bucks. I think I can afford this much :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on February 02, 2015, 03:05:44 PM
Quote from: Vijfhoek on January 28, 2015, 07:21:01 PM
For some reason, things like Floyd Roses are often called tremolos, or trems. I'm not sure why, because indeed "tremolo" is a whole other effect....
It's still called a tremolo bar, though.
Also DJ the thing that really makes a thing like Marktplaats work is that NL is quite small, so you can drive almost everywhere and back within one day :P

Also, I found the biggest issue so far with my acoustic: The string tension is way too low x.x If I play loud, I get tons of buzzing, which sucks :( Luckily I'm not keeping this one. Found a good deal on a Squier Affinity starter set, consisting of guitar, bag, strap, and frontman10G amp for 200 bucks. I think I can afford this much :P
Over here we have Kijiji which is extremely popular. It's a classified site and some sellers might deliver the item to you. The problem, though, is that Kijiji is now overrun by scams.

Regarding your guitar problems, is it a defect or is it how that particular model is made?

aetios

I think the strings I bought are too low tension and thus vibrate too much, they hit the fretboard which causes buzzing. It's not a defect, you could maybe call it a bug.

Vijfhoek

It could be that your bridge is worn out, causing the action to be too low.

aetios

The bridge sure is broken, but not on the side of the low E string. I don't really care either way as I'm buying that strat as soon as I have the money :p

Dream of Omnimaga

If the strings are too low tension, doesn't it mean they are loose? Maybe I am missing something because I speak French (in French, tension, when it comes to strings/cords/ropes can refer to how loose it is). If that's the case, then wouldn't tightening them up fix the issue?

Vijfhoek

That'd make them too high pitched, wouldn't it? :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right I kinda forgot about that. >.<

I'll have much to learn about guitar when I get one lol. Although there are probably things I can figure out from experimenting like getting the best sound. Ideally I would prefer avoiding having to take lessons to keep costs to a minimum. With internet I am betting I can get help there.

Vijfhoek

I don't have any lessons either, and my playing is coming along fairly nicely. Don't think it won't take time though!

Most important thing to keep in mind: try keeping your wrist straight at all times. Most important thing to avoid injuries.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah getting help in real time would definitively speed things up for some things. Although I guess Google hangouts could sometimes do the job :P. But yeah I heard that to get a song played right you need to practice for a long time and every day. As for the wrist thing is it because of risks of getting cut by the strings or something or more long term injuries caused by bad posture?

Also stupidly crazy idea I had: Would using hair as strings work? O.O

Vijfhoek

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2015, 05:16:12 PM
As for the wrist thing is it because of risks of getting cut by the strings or something or more long term injuries caused by bad posture?
Injuries caused by bad posture.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2015, 05:16:12 PM
Also stupidly crazy idea I had: Would using hair as strings work? O.O
It might, if you interweave enough of them so they survive the fairly high tension. It won't work on electric guitars though, as the pick-ups use magnetic fields to pick up the vibrations, so the strings have to be made of some metal.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. And lol I see about electric guitars. :P