Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Don't use Windows 7 legacy Backup on Windows 10

Started by brentmaas, February 23, 2016, 10:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentmaas

Long story short; about three months ago I wanted to use said program to create a backup of my Windows 10 machine. It failed again and again, and a thorough chkdsk revealed that every single cluster of the external HDD it was writing to was marked bad.

Today I managed to get myself to have a look at it. Interestingly, a little digging with diskpart made me discover that -8MB (yes, negative 8 megabytes) was free for usage. I erased the partition and did a full format, taking about 6,5h. So far I seem to be able to create txt-files on it again, another chkdsk will be done to confirm the disk's functionality.

I now believe Windows 7 legacy Backup raped (most accurate expression) the poor disk's MBR.

tl;dr: Window 7 legacy Backup destroys external harddisks on Windows 10.
Lel I glitched Omni

Dudeman313

This is....just....disturbing.....

Sorry about your computer, tho. :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

brentmaas

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 23, 2016, 11:22:14 PM
This is....just....disturbing.....

Sorry about your computer, tho. :walrii:
Thanks :P, my computer seems to be a little drunk sometimes. Recently, an update failed that prevented me from using the start menu, but this failed update had symptoms similar to an imminent harddisk failure. Spent the whole afternoon transferring files and staring at chkdsk C: until I did a system restore. The only reason I tried system restore last is that if my disk would actually fail, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself for losing 500GB of data that I had gathered over the last six years.

Forgot to mention I tried programming my own simple backup utility. Kind of put it aside because of recent school projects.
Lel I glitched Omni

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

That sucks Brentmaas. To be honest, though, I didn't know that Windows 7 legacy Backup existed until tonight. Is it built-into 10?

Also nice to see you again brentmaas.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

brentmaas

Quote from: aeTIos on February 24, 2016, 12:23:55 AM
Wait, so, did you lose anything?
It was a fresh disk, so no, fortunately :).

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 12:28:15 AM
That sucks Brentmaas. To be honest, though, I didn't know that Windows 7 legacy Backup existed until tonight. Is it built-into 10?
Yeah it comes with Win10, probably for simplifying upgrades.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 12:28:15 AM
Also nice to see you again brentmaas.
I was lurking here all along  :ninja:.
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

The name sounds like it's to downgrade back to Windows 7.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

brentmaas

Oh well... Time to try and find the receipt again...
Lel I glitched Omni

aetios

Wow, that's harsh. Do you think it was a bad disk to begin with, or is W7LB really at fault?

novenary

Hmmm, maybe you just bought a faulty disk ?
Edit: ninja'd.

brentmaas

My epic quest for the receipt continues. I'll just have it replaced with Intenso (the manufactorer) when I find it.
Lel I glitched Omni

aetios

"Watch out!", they cried to Brent, as the dust dragons encircled his head, preparing to attack his precious respiratory system. Brent quickly glanced, then attacked them with a vacuum cleaner.... The battle was short, but fierce. Brent had won. Relieved, he headed to the Mountains of Cloth to continue his quest for the Receipt of Disks...

brentmaas

Quote from: aeTIos on February 25, 2016, 09:21:42 AM
"Watch out!", they cried to Brent, as the dust dragons encircled his head, preparing to attack his precious respiratory system. Brent quickly glanced, then attacked them with a vacuum cleaner.... The battle was short, but fierce. Brent had won. Relieved, he headed to the Mountains of Cloth to continue his quest for the Receipt of Disks...
That made me laugh xD
Lel I glitched Omni

DarkestEx

I cannot confirm this at all. I did successful backups with this and my external Toshiba HDD is just fine. It just creates some container file and does not mess with the MBR at all.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2