Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

PICO-8 : Fantasy console

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, April 16, 2015, 08:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I discovered about PICO-8 months ago and Lexaloffle was kind enough to give me a code for alpha builds of it.

What's PICO-8? PICO-8 is a fantasy console project. Run in Lua and with SDL2, it aims to be run on computers and the Raspberry PI. It greets you with a Lua shell/CLI not too far from good old computers like C64 but that's not the only thing it includes. It includes a code editor (up to ~15KB lua code), a sprite editor (~256 different sprites), a map editor (one only map, 256*256, and the tileset is the spritesheet) and even sound/music editors.

(Found on the site home)

It's quite easy to program with, I'm also going to add one mid-minor project done here in my list. I started programming on it because I was reminded of LuaFX or my days when learning programmation on my G100+. Projects or mockups on it looks already promising as even in the demos we have a simplistic raycaster!

Here's a quick thing I did with to get my hands on (twitter GIF/video): [LINK].

It should be released as alpha for next LDJAM.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Ivoah

This looks really sweet! I love lua for smallish stuff like this, and I think it's a perfect language to use.

EDIT: I wonder if this would be able to be ported to the Nspire?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I asked about Lexaloffle for hypothetical power requirements. Looks like the host needs to bear 2 millions LUA's VM operations/s and drawing the sprites, maps and drawing commands without slowing down. It could be feasible but it'll be clocked down a lot. I'll eventually suggest him to try porting it on Nspire.

Snektron

Wait, is this an OS? that is really awesome *.*
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Ivoah

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 16, 2015, 01:01:01 PM

It looks like it's more of a VM/emulator, kinda like computercraft or (less so) LÖVE.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Snektron

Still cool! Also i noticed it will also be available for web, so that'll be cool too

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Oh I overlooked that detail.
Quote from: Ivoah on April 16, 2015, 01:24:22 PM

It looks like it's more of a VM/emulator, kinda like computercraft or (less so) LÖVE.

Yeah, it bears both of these parts. You can mess with some files and folders in a cart repository. As in Voxatron, a saved file is actually a program with its data (map, sprite, sound, etc...). You'll be able to save them non compressed or compressed into a picture with a thumbnail.

Ivoah

CKH4

This looks really cool and I can't wait to try it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Ivoah

Was the editor written in lua?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I don't really know. It's like a console, you don't really know what's inside. We have although something like a memory map to fiddle with some memory zones (like Maps or SPR data)
Quote from: CKH4 on April 16, 2015, 02:33:17 PM
This looks really cool and I can't wait to try it.
Try asking Lexaloffle then ;) But make sure you give feedback, alpha testing is crucial!

Dream of Omnimaga

This looks really cool and fun to play with. I like such old school stuff. I don't do Lua but I am curious about what people will come up with. Maybe someone could port some old calc games to it? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

But if this uses cartridges, then wouldn't it need like an usb peripheral or something?

Ivoah

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 16, 2015, 04:46:15 PM
But if this uses cartridges, then wouldn't it need like an usb peripheral or something?

It doesn't use physical cartridges (I think, correct me if I'm wrong),  that's just the name the developer chose for the bundled programs/data.

Snektron

Ah okay. That confused me for a bit.