Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Codewalrus Website Promotion (video)

Started by Keoni29, December 29, 2014, 11:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keoni29

This topic was created because of a staff discussion regarding a promotional video. This video is to be aired at the websites launch date.

This video and other promotional material should target programmers, calculator enthusiasts and also hardware tinkerers. It can also show off some of our other community interests such as drawing, animation, music etc.

What should this video be like? What should be in this video? Who can supply interesting and relevant footage?

Share your ideas on how to promote this website!
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Dream of Omnimaga

My idea since the beginning was to make it like this video, but much shorter:

Alternating between descriptive text and pics/screenshots of our projects. Somewhere at the start we could see Walrii standing still on a platform, then later he would start flying away, as tribute to the "Remember the day the walrus started to fly thing". It would obviously finish with the logo. Song will be Stratovarius - Requiem, so it won't be a fast-pace dvid.

That's of course if my computer cooperates by then and if we have enough content to fill it. Video has to be 2 minutes 30 seconds long because the song is around that length. It's a slow song, though, so the video doesn't have to be fast paced. (With the text describing/promoting the site we should probably need about 75-90 seconds of calculator, gaming project, hardware modding and artistic footage.

What we have right now is the following:

-Herocore
-Tetris (in early stages)
-Axeagon footage
-Supersonic Ball PC (and eventually HP Prime)
-Scipi's strategy Chess crossover
-Osu HTML5 (assuming it still works)
-Keoni29's visuals of his hardware projects
-The string of sprites on the front page which will appear somewhere.
-Codewalrus logo

What we need:
-HP Prime animation showing Walrii with the pink wings taking flight from a platform.
-Perhaps other stuff? (Illusiat XI, Pokespire, assuming they're far enough into graphical progress)
-Pictures of IDE environment and Github code of our projects since, after all, our site is partly dedicated to development.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Do you want a screenshot of Super Hexagon Casio? Unless you have Windows, you could download the project, run then emulator and record it.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

That would rule too. Even though CodeWalrus doesn't really do Casio calculator stuff, I don't mind if people contribute some to the site. :)

I sadly have Windows, though, so you should perhaps give me a screenshot.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Here you go!

Dream of Omnimaga

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Hmmf, because it's pain to do... Very well, I'm doing it.

EDIT : Added.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. Why is it a pain to do animated screenshots on Casio calcs, though? On Planète-Casio I noticed most games don't do it. On the HP Prime, all you have to do is add a delay in the program code you are emulating, open Camstudio then save as AVI. You can then convert it to GIF using VirtualDub. On the HP Prime you can even capture directly from the calculator while Camstudio is running, but it's jumpy.

On the TI-Nspire I do the same and most TI-84+ emulators have a built-in GIF capture feature.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

EBecause we don't have such an emulator like WabbitEmu which odes the record itself. I had to capture my desktop, convert to a video format which virtualdub would read, crop and export to gif with VirtualDub and optimize the result with GIMP... ><

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right. I wonder why nobody even bothered writing such emulator, considering Casio calcs are very popular in France for game programming...

With CamStudio at least I can record parts of my desktop rather than being forced to record it completely.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 30, 2014, 06:51:03 PM
Ah right. I wonder why nobody even bothered writing such emulator, considering Casio calcs are very popular in France for game programming...

With CamStudio at least I can record parts of my desktop rather than being forced to record it completely.

Casio aren't as much as popular as TI in Frane, calc programming is not a frequent hobby here. I saw once a porject of doing an emulator but I haven't checked it since.

novenary

Yeah few people program calcs in france. Which is sad.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Eiyeron on December 30, 2014, 07:04:53 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 30, 2014, 06:51:03 PM

Casio aren't as much as popular as TI in Frane, calc programming is not a frequent hobby here. I saw once a porject of doing an emulator but I haven't checked it since.
True, but notice how many game projects there is on Planète-Casio compared to TI game projects from French people on Omni and TI-Planet. Unless most of PC is from Belgium?