Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Post your desktop !

Started by novenary, June 22, 2015, 08:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strontium

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 26, 2015, 07:33:30 PM
Quote from: Strontium on June 26, 2015, 05:37:31 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 26, 2015, 05:23:39 AM
Aah I see. I heard that Arch was quite hard to install, but I have not heard much about how hard or easy Fedora can be to install nor use.

Fedora is super easy to install.

Arch is also pretty easy if you have a bit of experience and have installed it before. Usually, installing Arch takes me about an hour (probably less).
I can install arch in about 10 minutes without the manual. :P

I'm jealous now D:
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

novenary

It's just a question of being used to it. I did it so many times that I remember it all now.

Dream of Omnimaga

It seems like ASM. Hard to get used to if you're used to higher-level languages, but not that hard to program for once you get the hang of it (depending of the game, of course).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Yeah, ASM requires a wholeother form of programming :P
Though stack machines are not that hard if you know RPN. But most machines are a register based machines with a stack

(stack machine = processor that only has a stack to operate on, and for example an opcode 'ADD' would pop the two top-most items of the stack, add them and push the result)
(register machine = processor that uses various "registers", essentially a few variables, to operate on. 'ADD' would for example add register 0 and 1.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 27, 2015, 10:00:51 AM
Yeah, ASM requires a wholeother form of programming :P
Well the asm paradigm is similar to stuff like C, it's just much more verbose I guess.

Dream of Omnimaga

Doesn't ASM have like the smallest amount of instructions, though?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 27, 2015, 05:08:36 PM
Doesn't ASM have like the smallest amount of instructions, though?

You'd be surprised. The z80 already has like 300 instructions (though thats unique opcodes... Things like ld a, b and ld b, a are considered different things)
Also the JVM instruction set has a few hundred too iirc

novenary

Yeah it depends on the CPU. Modern instruction sets are pretty large and their design varies (the eternal cisc vs risc), plus now there's a cload of extensions. This is what I have on my pc as extensions :
[spoiler]fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt[/spoiler]

And my phone : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt.
A lot less but still quite a bunch.

Dream of Omnimaga

Weird, many people claims ASM is easier to memorize than basic due to having less commands.

novenary

Well in practice you don't use all the commands all the time. There's a core group of instructions that are used for most stuff then you have those that are more application specific.

Yuki

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 26, 2015, 07:46:06 PM
It's just a question of being used to it. I did it so many times that I remember it all now.
Yeah, it's not that hard if you know what to do. Prepare partitions, mount partitions, bootstrap the base packages (also whatever package you want), chroot in it, create accounts, configure system to your likings, install and configure GRUB, reboot, it's pretty straightforward. So straightforward they deprecated the installer a few years ago.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 27, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
Yeah it depends on the CPU. Modern instruction sets are pretty large and their design varies (the eternal cisc vs risc), plus now there's a cload of extensions. This is what I have on my pc as extensions :
[spoiler]fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt[/spoiler]

And my phone : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt.
A lot less but still quite a bunch.

Extensions? Are those like a set of defines adding "new instructions" that are in fact just inline subroutines?

TheMachine02

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 28, 2015, 09:32:30 AM
Extensions? Are those like a set of defines adding "new instructions" that are in fact just inline subroutines?

No, those are really per processor added opcode. For example, there is well known extensions such as mmx, sse, or avx. Not all processor support  them, it depend. (usually, it vary from the gamme of product, higher cpu are bigger and support more extension).
They ussually speed up really precise operation ( in case of avx, it is the vector processing)

Snektron

Ohh neat. Where can i check which extensions i have? :3
EDIT: i found them on cpu-world:
MMX, MMx extensions, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4a, AES, AVX, BMI1, FMA3, FMA4, F16C, TBM, XOP, AMD64, VT, EVP

novenary

I got the list from /proc/cpuinfo.