Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

An USB cable that costs $1459.99

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, June 09, 2016, 01:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

O.O

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-16-4-usb-a-to-usb-b-cable-black-gray/4022646.p?id=1218449994838&skuId=4022646

I wonder what's so special about it (assuming it's not human error) but I'm surprised by the price since it's almost as high as what Apple would have charged :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GalacticPirate

The description says it has got silver conductors and solid core conductors. Plus it's USB-B :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Caleb Hansberry

Don't miss the gold reviews of it!

QuoteHorrible product
Hi, I purchased the AudioQuest - 16.4' USB A-to-USB B Cable - Black/Gray a few weeks ago and absolutely hate it. It runs just as well as a normal $600 USB. I have since been using it as a leash for my schnauzer.
No, I would not recommend this to a friend.

QuoteAre you ready to have your mind blown?
Got it home, took some pics, uploaded to Twitter and got 2,000 likes. It is not expensive, it's an invaluable investment. I am still trying to figure out how to disconnect my Bluetooth printer from the home wifi network, but am sure that I will see huge latency improvements on my cannon printer. I didn't have enough money for the ink cartridge replacement pack so it may take a few months to know if quality improves as well. Either way, this cord may as well be called the umbilicol cord because it has provided me a whole new life!
I would recommend this to a friend!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

garvalf

QuoteIt runs just as well as a normal $600 USB.

He maybe wanted to write "It runs just as well as a normal $1 USB"
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Caleb Hansberry on June 10, 2016, 02:41:31 AM
Don't miss the gold reviews of it!

QuoteHorrible product
Hi, I purchased the AudioQuest - 16.4' USB A-to-USB B Cable - Black/Gray a few weeks ago and absolutely hate it. It runs just as well as a normal $600 USB. I have since been using it as a leash for my schnauzer.
No, I would not recommend this to a friend.

QuoteAre you ready to have your mind blown?
Got it home, took some pics, uploaded to Twitter and got 2,000 likes. It is not expensive, it's an invaluable investment. I am still trying to figure out how to disconnect my Bluetooth printer from the home wifi network, but am sure that I will see huge latency improvements on my cannon printer. I didn't have enough money for the ink cartridge replacement pack so it may take a few months to know if quality improves as well. Either way, this cord may as well be called the umbilicol cord because it has provided me a whole new life!
I would recommend this to a friend!
And I just found even more reviews O.O

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/people-start-reviewing-1459-usb-cable-on-best-buy-hilarity-ensues

Some of those are hilarious as well XD

Unfortunately, it seems Best Buy is deleting or censoring certain reviews, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

This is almost as bad as the $2000 iPhone app that did nothing but display a glowing ruby and the words "I am rich."
Eight people downloaded it for full price before Apple forced the developers to lower the ridiculously high cost.

It's still on the appstore, but  for 200 and another version free.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Strontium

I mean, it would make sense if USB was analogue, I guess...

but also, related:
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-feet-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT08E4

$1,094.75 HDMI cable!
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Dudeman313 on June 17, 2016, 04:34:58 AM
This is almost as bad as the $2000 iPhone app that did nothing but display a glowing ruby and the words "I am rich."
Eight people downloaded it for full price before Apple forced the developers to lower the ridiculously high cost.

It's still on the appstore, but  for 200 and another version free.
Wasn't it $9999.99 before? IIRC it was made just so you can brag about how rich you are, so this is why some people bought it anyway. Personally if I had $1 million I would still have better priorities. I mean, with $1 million you could only buy 100 copies of the app at full price.

Quote from: Strontium on June 17, 2016, 04:36:12 AM
I mean, it would make sense if USB was analogue, I guess...

but also, related:
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-feet-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT08E4

$1,094.75 HDMI cable!
There are probably things that can make USB/HDMI cables much more expensive than normal, such as being gold-plated or something, but personally I would rather buy them at the dollar store even if they're short. I heard the quality is still not bad.

inb4 videophiles/dataphiles arrive and try to justify such high HDMI/USB cable prices like audiophiles do with $600 headphones :P (although at least some expensive headphones got absolutely fantastic quality if you buy the right brands)

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

It's different if it's a rare collectible item, though. Supply vs demand.

Snektron

With pepes i mean
as in, images you can find on the internet not intended as art

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I thought it was a different exclusive collection or something :P

Strontium

Ah yes DJ, the rare pepe. There are many different pepes, some rarer than the others. The one posted by @Cumred_Snektron is quite common. I hear the rarest pepe has never been seen before by human eyes. The creator drew it blindfolded, and then buried it in their garden. Quite rare, indeed.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Yuki

Damn, someone really bought rare pepes for almost $100K? Crazy. Like that guy who sold a screenshot of a comment on /b/ or something like that for probably the same price.

(And yes, if you don't know, rare pepes are a meme probably originated in the wastelands of /b/. As usual.)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

Quote from: Juju on June 18, 2016, 06:53:15 AM
Damn, someone really bought rare pepes for almost $100K? Crazy.

Nah it was removed by ebay