Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

SDL/n2DLib ports for TI Nspire

Started by gameblabla, August 19, 2015, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 24, 2016, 08:32:44 PM
That looks cool. Thanks for the port :)
Wasn't there a crappy SNES version, btw?
Yeah, it does. (don't know how crappy it is though...)
In fact, this game was ported to lots of platforms at the time, even the CDi !

I think in-game, the SNES port runs faster than the native port but i need to test this if that's the case.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

gameblabla

I have significantly improved the game's speed by doing little changes.
I only had to remove the zlib dependency (turn off a define) and remove a condition inside the drawing and the game runs
much faster now than it used to.
I can now safely say it runs faster than the SNES port :p

Dream of Omnimaga

Great! I still need to try it, since I didn't have much time to do so lately.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Here's a PSX emulator, PCSX4All, now for the Ti Nspire CX !

I have switched the video rendering to n2dlib, stripped down all of its dependencies...
but it is still pretty slow.
That's mainly because it doesn't have a recompiler compatible with the nspire
due to sys_flushcaches only available on Linux systems...
For now, it's using the slow-ass interpreter and it's crashing on a lot of games...

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait what? O.O If the speed isn't that bad (for example, if some games are actually playable) then this is sorcery. O.O I always thought that PSX/N64 emulation required a 800+ MHz processor. :P Nice though
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Well, critor told me most games would crash, even homebrews...
I have no idea why this happens though, even after fixing some other bugs.

I guess GCC doesn't make good arm code for the nspire, because it is working on my PC with the same codebase.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aw that's a shame. Maybe lack of RAM or disk space? What is the smallest licensed PS1 game ever made? Music 2000 is 323 MB so games aren't necessarily tied to the size of a CD, but I always thought that PS1 games were at least 100+ MB large due to all cinematics.

gameblabla

Yeah, the PS1 emulator was more of a POC than anything else : i never intended to make it fullspeed or anything.

I gave TinyGL a try on my nspire and it turned out it could be used with n2DLib.
I have compiled some 3D examples using TinyGL.

https://github.com/gameblabla/tinygl_nspire/raw/master/triangle.tns
https://github.com/gameblabla/tinygl_nspire/raw/master/gears.tns

Triangle works fast but Gears (yes, the benchmark app) works pretty slowly : like 5 FPS or something.

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. By the way I am curious about how fast a port of ClosedGL or the 68K voxel engine would run? I don't know if the license would allow that, though, but those w ere for the TI-89

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 30, 2016, 04:13:11 PM
Interesting. By the way I am curious about how fast a port of ClosedGL or the 68K voxel engine would run? I don't know if the license would allow that, though, but those w ere for the TI-89
ClosedGL is proprietary : it's missing cgl.c, the implementation library and he only provides a lib file, with no source code.
It can't be ported to any platforms.

Dream of Omnimaga

Dang. For some reasons, back in the days many TI community members had the bad habit of releasing everything closed-source or worse, not releasing anything at all and letting their closed-source projects rot on old, failing hard drives. >.<

Dream of Omnimaga

So I fixed the download link for the PC version of Opossum Massage Simulator in @gameblabla post because for some reasons he likes to give me extra work by changing the Github download URL for no reason :P

gameblabla

Virtual Jaguar for the Ti Nspire CX.

It requires the latest Ndless version for it to work so better update your installation.
Not all games work and when they do, it's very slow.
Wolfenstein 3D and Cybermorph are the fastest games running on vj.
Bubsy also work but only on the no-dsp version.
Atari Karts works but it is very slow, don't attempt to run it lol.

You can download the tns files here :
https://github.com/gameblabla/virtualjaguar-nspire/raw/master/virtualjaguar-nspire.zip

Dream of Omnimaga

How much slower do the games run? For example, at how many FPS would Wolfeinstein run? This is amazing work, though, @gameblabla . I'm glad to see more platforms available for emulation on the Nspire :3=

gameblabla

QuoteHow much slower do the games run? For example, at how many FPS would Wolfeinstein run?
Here's how the Atari Jaguar version of Worms works on it.

And to answer your questions, Wolfenstein 3D on vj runs much more slowly than its PC port.
Like 1~2 FPS.
Worms runs at 2~4 FPS, it's the fastest game running on vj.

I can still optimise it tho, i have not played all of my cards yet.
It's not using n2DLib right now due to some issues with color masking.
When this issue is solved, expect much higher framerates.