Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CE] - xLIBCE

Started by tr1p1ea, March 22, 2016, 03:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on March 23, 2016, 08:15:28 AM
Yup, there could be (and already have been) conflicts between hooks on the TI-eZ80 series. That's why I've been campaigning, perhaps a bit repetitively but for good reason IMO (*), for a common hook framework on the TI-eZ80 series.

*: I think that a common hook framework provided by e.g. libload, or any related place containing core "shell"-independent functionality, is the best way forward for the TI-eZ80 series. Like a powerful library loader, now implemented by Mateo for a little while, that's what was done by the community on the TI-68k/AMS platform as well, with two conventions:
1) Kevin Kofler's "evHk" convention limited to event hooks, which worked without a "kernel";
2) Matthieu "flanker" Gallet's little-known but much more powerful, "kernel"-based, UTSRlib ( http://ti-fr.com/?act=66&art=11 ). Most of this article is written in French but the API description is fortunately mostly in English.

On the TI-eZ80 series, TI-68k old-timers like me can't necessarily bring in much new calculator-side code, but they can at least bring in what they know about existing good and bad practices from 1-2 decades ago in another calculator series from which the TI-eZ80 imported several traits (flat addressing space, flat OS and FlashApps, etc.).

I second this. It would be nice if there was some way of integrating libload into basic, but i think that will be a bit impossible :(.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: tr1p1ea on March 23, 2016, 09:20:48 PM
I'm not entirely sure however there is a strong focus for myself on getting CE related stuff released :).

Also I fixed a bug in the DrawString command which can be seen with the extra character in the xMEME example - hopefully it's good now.

I have another bug where some tilemap data gets overwritten that I am investigating now.

I'm very glad that I have 4 days off over easter and am hoping to knock off a few more functions :).
YEah the main issue if DCE9 updates are not backported is that some people such as 123outerme don't own a CE and still program for the CSE right now. I can totally understand if the changes aren't backported now, though. Maybe later when you have more time and that DCE9 is out?

Also ouch about those bugs >.<. Glad you got one fixed :)

By the way, I think I recall DrawString returning 0 to Ans or something, erasing the string in the process (requiring the user to store the string in Ans over and over, causing slowdowns). Was that fixed? I think DrawString should not return anything into Ans unless it received wrong input, so that people can re-use the same string with multiple DrawString commands (eg for blinking/moving text animations)

Also @tr1p1ea could you post screenshots of what First Fantasy: Mana Force CSE (not the CE version) and HP Prime Tunnel CSE Demake look like on the 84+CE? I am really curious about the glitchiness in FF:MF and speed differences in both.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

Yeah I updated DrawString to restore the string in Ans when it returns .. I think this was in DCSE8.1 ... it's in this version definitely however.

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to hear. This will definitively allow text animations to be much faster :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Btw @tr1p1ea , if you implement custom palettes, that would be a nice addition because then we could potentially do sprite compression by storing multiple sprites into one. I do that with CE Textlib in my tilemapper (which supports color palettes) and I can save a lot of memory and sprite space. For example, if someone had a key sprite inside a wall tile, then he could make the wall colors identical in one color palette so that only the key is visible, or vice versa. Of course that would require you to allow color palettes to have multiple colors that are identical, at the programmer's discretion, though.

tr1p1ea

yes custom palettes and the ability to modify individual palette entries are already implemented. There is no restriction on whether colours are the same or not; completely up to the programmer.

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome. :D Right now I am doing monster sprites using duplicate color trick and from 6 monster tiles I can actually have 11 or so. This could also be handy for some special effects.

tr1p1ea

You can also structure your palette and then use the xLIBC ColourOffset function to offset to each different set of colours as required instead of manually manipulating the palette all the time :).

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh nice, I forgot about the color offset. I guess then I could just set colors of a certain hue for even better magic animations than in xLIBC :P

Dudeman313

I'd like to see a blue magic explosion exercising xLIBCE's current limits. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

tr1p1ea

Good news, I have included a fixed-width small font as per people's request. Here is a screenshot :):

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the new font tr1p1ea. :D The big one is fine, but being able to cram more text in the screen will definitively be nice for RPGs, especially menus. :)

Unicorn

Awesome job, tr1p1ea! Can we get a full list ofeverything implemented atm?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

That's fancy!  :D
Could you do Spiroh's font? I'd want to see that on the CE. :)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 01, 2016, 04:34:16 AM
I like the new font tr1p1ea. :D The big one is fine, but being able to cram more text in the screen will definitively be nice for RPGs, especially menus. :)
That's true. It was hard for me to cram stuff on screens when I was still working on Mr. Bob's Bad Day.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 01, 2016, 03:47:56 PM
That's fancy!  :D
Could you do Spiroh's font? I'd want to see that on the CE. :)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 01, 2016, 04:34:16 AM
That's true. It was hard for me to cram stuff on screens when I was still working on Mr. Bob's Bad Day.
Do you have a link to SpiroH's font?
Quote from: Unicorn on April 01, 2016, 05:36:15 AM
Awesome job, tr1p1ea! Can we get a full list ofeverything implemented atm?
Yeah I am curious as well, although I am more curious about what else is new in this version and if there are any bug fixes.