Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Paper Mario: Color Splash

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 08, 2016, 04:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

That game looks pretty great and fun, despite still not being a proper JRPG like Thousand Years Door and the original were. It also seems to incorporate elements from Splatoon. At least it doesn't appear to require switching the wiimote 90° every 3 second like Super Paper Mario. Has anyone tried it yet? What I am curious about is if there is a lot of dialog and text in the game? What I liked the least about the Wii game was the cutscene abuse. SInce that game was essentially a platformer with stages, the insane amount of dialog/text per Mario platformer standards killed the flow of the game IMHO. What about the Wii U game?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

here's a pretty good LP of it. Btw I really like the Idea of a 2d character like that in a 3d world :D Looks realy fun ^^

Edit: It looks like there's a lot of dialogues but the graphics is amazing ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

p2

Cant stop watching those videos as I love the design so much  :love:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Dream of Omnimaga

I always loved the graphics in Paper Mario, except during the first few weeks it came out. At first I didn't like them because I absolutely wanted a Super Mario RPG style game, but eventually I started liking the graphics.

What I didn't like, however, is that the last ever RPG released in the Paper Mario series dates back over 10 years ago. All post-GCN Paper Mario games are no longer RPGs for the most part. Otherwise I guess the games can be fun for some people.

By the way, did you know that Paper Mario 64 was originally supposed to be called Super Mario RPG 2?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

really? O.o I didnt know that ^^
I'm wondering anyways why they always call it *-64 like "Supe Mario 64" and "Paper Mario 64" ^^ Is it due to 64bit systems or something like that? :)

Dream of Omnimaga

It's not called Paper Mario 64 actually, but rather Paper Mario. I just refer to it as 64 to avoid confusion. But yeah, after the Gamecube game, the series drifted away from RPGs and became a standard platformer overall with different mechanics than other Mario game. Apparently, the N64 name change and drastic gameplay changes was due to the game being developed exclusively by Nintendo, while the Mario RPG game was developed by Square, and the removal of several JRPG aspects was thus inevitable since Nintendo isn't versed into JRPG making as much as Square was. So in other words, it was some subtle way to tell Super Mario RPG fans that an actual sequel would never happen. Also, some SMRPG elements are copyrighted by Square, so I doubt Nintendo would be able to use them.

Things could have been very different if Nintendo had not insisted to stick with expensive and small-capacity cartridges back in 1995. But Nintendo didn't like the long load times of CDs (I can't blame them, though, because Playstation game load times annoys the hell out of me too)

p2

yess teh loading times on old consoles was realy terrible. But therefore the gaming experience was really great ;D
I remember back in the old days when I was over at a friends house and we were always playing MarioKart on a GameCube  :love:

aetios

I would love to have a proper Paper Mario RPG again, they're among the best games Nintendo has made. I really like the concept of color splash, though.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on October 14, 2016, 08:41:34 AM
yess teh loading times on old consoles was realy terrible. But therefore the gaming experience was really great ;D
I remember back in the old days when I was over at a friends house and we were always playing MarioKart on a GameCube  :love:
To be honest, it was more on the Playstation 1 that loading was a serious issue. I think the disc player was just that slow. Nowadays, loading is actually worse, but it's due to game content rather than disc speed. That said, even on the GCN the loading could be noticed, such as in Ocarina of Time when entering the menu. Even the instruction manual warned about this and that it was due to the game being in disc format.

Quote from: aeTIos on October 17, 2016, 09:38:18 AM
I would love to have a proper Paper Mario RPG again, they're among the best games Nintendo has made. I really like the concept of color splash, though.
Sadly I doubt a new proper Mario RPG will ever happen again. The original did, because Square-Enix wanted to increase their JRPG audience in North America. JRPGs usually sold poorly over here compared to Japan, and Square-Enix (which was just Square back then) thought that adding Mario in one of their games would increase the North American sales considerably. And thus, Super Mario RPG was born. Nintendo obviously published the game, though.

In 1996, though, Square and Nintendo relationship soured due to the N64 using cartridges, so Square switched to Sony consoles instead. It took 6 years before a Square game comes out to Nintendo consoles again afterwards (Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles) and two decades later, they have yet to release a brand new, non-spinoff FF game on a Nintendo console that isn't portable again. The last main FF game that came out on a TV-based Nintendo console was Final Fantasy VI in 1994. By then, Nintendo was already making RPGs of their own (the first two Paper Mario games), then drifted away from the genre althogether.

Why I doubt that a new Mario RPG will happen is because Square-Enix has no issues selling their games here anymore so they don't need Mario to do it, and I don't think Nintendo is interested in making RPGs for big consoles anymore. I don't know if Mario & Luigi series is still RPG-ish, though, but that's for handhelds. Also, it seems that the traditional JRPG genre of turn-based battles have died down in recent years, with most JRPGs now being real-time action or western or visual novel/brawling style.

Another possibility for ditching RPGs is that maybe Thousand Years Door sales were poor, but that might have been due to the console selling poorly in the first place, so we can't really judge.

p2

wow *-*
do you know all that by heart or did you have to ask wikipedia...?
But yesss.... I miss the old mario games as many of the new games use the name and the characters but the games are just not the same.
I admit paper mario looks really fun to play ;D but its still not the same

Dream of Omnimaga

Wikipedia and various other sources, but I knew about the Square-Nintendo ending of their affiliation