Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zargul (TI-84+CE)

Started by JamesV, July 11, 2016, 06:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesV

Early last year I started experimenting with making a pseudo-3D RPG engine on the TI-84+CSE. Here's a screenshot showing where it was up to. Just a basic movement engine, with character & inventory panels. Flickering graphics, as I hadn't implemented buffering.

My original inspiration was Eye of the Beholder (for PC & Amiga), although I'm not entirely sure how true to the original game I'll stay. As usual, I got distracted by real life / other projects, and I haven't done any work on it since last March.. Until now!

Over the weekend I had a bit of a look through things and started work on porting over what I'd done to the TI-84+CE, which is the calculator I'd eventually like to release this on.

Also, whilst coding is a higher priority at this early point in development, story line elements have been brewing in my head a little bit (which was actually my motivation for opening up the project folder again).

Hopefully I'll have something running on the CE later this week. My coding time is limited but I'll make the most of it :)

Yuki

Oooh, that looks pretty cool, I'd like to see this in full ^_^
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Looking good so far, as expected from you. ^_^

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm I remember this game but I had completely forgotten the name and that the latest screenshots had textures. This looks really great and is very reminiscent of Wizardry. It would be nice to see a new RPG from this, since there is only one being complete for the CE so far (or 3 once Doors CE comes out).

What does HU means by the way? I know that HP is either Hit or Health points. Also does the flicker happen on a real calculator? Some double-buffering would really make this look even greater. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Well he did say there is no buffering atm.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I missed that. My bad. >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Thanks all!

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 11, 2016, 07:16:12 AM
What does HU means by the way? I know that HP is either Hit or Health points.

Yeah, HP is Hit Points, and HU is Hunger. The original Eye of the Beholder games had a "Food" mechanic.

I do intend to actually make a complete game out of this, but there is a lot of work to do. But I'll keep chipping away at it :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Try to not make the food a burden for the player, though. RPGs tend to require grinding so if food goes down too fast while grinding that can make the game too hard.

Good luck with this project btw. I would like to see another RPG not by me finished for the CE :)

garvalf

I love this kind of game... and your looks very good!
It really gives the lust to play and explore it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 12, 2016, 05:49:06 AM
Try to not make the food a burden for the player, though. RPGs tend to require grinding so if food goes down too fast while grinding that can make the game too hard.
I'm not planning to implement any mechanics that will be too laborious. My intention is to make it more puzzle/combat based, which of course will involve a lot of exploration. You can watch some gameplay of Eye of the Beholder below to at least see my initial inspiration for the game :)

Quote from: garvalf on July 12, 2016, 03:05:15 PM
I love this kind of game... and your looks very good!
It really gives the lust to play and explore it.
Thanks! I hope it will be fun to play when it's eventually in some kind of playable form!

Dream of Omnimaga

Good to hear. I really can't wait to see your ideas in action :)

JamesV

Here is the beginning of it working on the TI-84+CE. It definitely looks much nicer with buffering / no flickering!

Dream of Omnimaga

Very nice indeed! I hope it comes to fruition :3

Dudeman313

Nice! It's looking good.  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

Are you planning to make this game as complicated as Eye of the beholder? Anyways, good luck!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???