Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What if F-Zero came out on the Sega Genesis?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 09, 2015, 06:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

This looks and sounds cool! O.O

A small idea of what could have been F-Zero on the Sega Genesis?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

SCREW THIS,
THE MEGADRIVE SUCKS !
THE NEC PC-ENGINE/TURBOGRAFX16 IS THE REAL DEAL !

Download link is here (Chirs Covel rocks) :
http://www.chrismcovell.com/data/HuZERO_by_Chris_Covell.zip
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

The PC Engine was so expensive back then, tho. It was like double the price of the Megadrive and SNES in 1993 over here despite having worse graphics than the Genesis and it was without the CD add on included. It's a shame because there were so many classics, like Ys series and Keith Courage.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 09, 2015, 07:10:57 PM
The PC Engine was so expensive back then, tho. It was like double the price of the Megadrive and SNES in 1993 over here despite having worse graphics than the Genesis and it was without the CD add on included. It's a shame because there were so many classics, like Ys series and Keith Courage.
The NEC PC-Engine was really advanced for its time when it was released in 1987, including its cd addons
with the first commercially available games in 1988.(well before Manhole in 1989)
The PC-Engine has a gpu superior to the megadrive in some ways with 16 palettes of 16 colors available.
Each palette can pick 16 colors out of 512 colours.
The Megadrive has only 4 palettes of 16 colors, SNES is same as PC-Engine except with 4096 colors available.
Megadrive had two background layers though, unlike the PCE.
It had a 8-bits cpu but the SNES's cpu was not really 16bits either, more like 8/16bits.

NEC's marketing was bad though but it's not really their fault because devs were under a nintendo contract
at the time and they couldn't publish their games there.

I need to port HuGo for TI Nspire now that i think about it...

tr1p1ea

The PCE version doesnt quite look right, more like the graphical effect seen in old games like Pole position (Atari) etc. Well maybe a little more advanced (it appears to have per-line scaling ... but perhaps no true rotation?).

Is it actually mode7 style?

gameblabla

Quote from: tr1p1ea on September 09, 2015, 10:20:12 PM
The PCE version doesnt quite look right, more like the graphical effect seen in old games like Pole position (Atari) etc.

Is it actually mode7 style?
No, the Megadrive version has a real mode7 implemented in software.
Not the case for the PCE version which tries to simulate it, because it does not have the cpu raw power of the Megadrive.
The technique used for the PCE version is actually the same for every racing game on the platform.
It's done pretty damn well here though, notably the vehicule crash.

Dream of Omnimaga

That technique is what I might use if I ever make a racing game for the HP Prime. I know it would be weird to have a Mario Kart-like game like this but I think it can be possible with some tweaking. Also I just watched the video Gameblabla and it looks nice. The music is cool too.

tr1p1ea

Proper mode7 should work on the CE quite well ... in-fact it works on the CSE very nicely too.

It's a shame that there have been some nice mode7 engines for calcs around for a long time, but nothing ever finished.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I still remember your Mario kart map demo. If you made a CE version, try to not lose the progress, though. :P And yeah I agree. People usually get bored after finishing their engines then never make a game. The sad part tho is that people often never released the source.