Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Hiya @Omegaxis213 and welcome to the forums :walrii:

Feel free to showcase your projects in the project sections :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ephraim Becker

Hi, I'm Ephraim Becker and I feel like CodeWalrus is better than Omnimaga. I also have PDD-NOS. My goal is to program an OS for x86 processors in Machine Code but I'm taking it in baby steps.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Welcome here. As an active Cemetech and former Omnimaga member, I must say that the best way to learn is to read carefully what advice people give you when you ask for help and break out of bad habits that you might still have (eg make sure to search the web before asking). I know it's hard to learn new stuff and adapt to changes as PDD-NOS or even with other forms of autism (and this is why I gave up on ASM) but most forum members have very limited free time and other people might need their help too so when they help people, they expect them to do their homework (see Advice IV http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=36.0 ) first. Otherwise, people who try to help will eventually give up or lose patience.

It also definitively helps to start small. Machine code instead of ASM (and even ASM) might be pushing it a bit too far for now (I'm thinking several years off), especially that in your case, breaking out of your TI-BASIC habits might take a few additional years (from experience with my three failed attempts at learning ASM) since you got exposed to high-level languages for too long. It's also entirely possible that ASM and such low level languages might just not be for you.

We do not have many ASM programmers here, though, since we just opened a few months ago and most ASM programmers on CodeWalrus are people from Cemetech or Omnimaga.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Im an exception! yay :P
But (atleast in my case) general programming knowlege helps a lot when learning ASM.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the Asm in 28 days tutorials explicitely states that you must be fluent in at least one high-level language other than TI-BASIC in order to learn ASM, else you pretty much stand no chance. On the other hand, for people who have issues adapting to changes, especially drastic ones, getting exposed to high-level languages for too long can make it considerably harder for them to learn ASM, if not next to impossible in some cases.

Snektron

Well it is a very obscure language, so if you're used to some kind of system or structure and you try to learn ASM that it suddenly won't work and you have to start from scratch.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true, but I think it's because of how low level it is. It's next to machine code and hexadecimal mnemonics in terms of level, although I assume that all three are the same, just that ASM looks closer to English. It requires a different way of thinking that some people will have an harder time to adapt to. However I noticed that most people who have an hard time  learning ASM and manages to succeed don't have as much troubles getting good at it.

gtemples31415

Hello, everyone. I'm Gaven and I've been programming for around 3 years, off and on.  I only know TI-BASIC and a bit of Grammer, and I want to learn Axe, but.... Anywho,  hello!

Snektron

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gtemples31415 on March 25, 2015, 08:09:27 PM
Hello, everyone. I'm Gaven and I've been programming for around 3 years, off and on.  I only know TI-BASIC and a bit of Grammer, and I want to learn Axe, but.... Anywho,  hello!
Heya and welcome to the forums. I think I saw you on another forum but I forgot if it was Cemetech or Omnimaga. I hope you enjoy your stay here too and feel free to ask questions or showcase your projects if you ever have any! :)

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Snektron

Yeah we'll be glad to answer all your questions :)