Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How good is your French?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 02, 2016, 12:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So juju found one of those typical online quiz that lures you into sharing it on Facebook (although in this case it's optional), and it's a quiz to see how good is your French. It says basic French but some questions are more tricky. Anyway I thought I would share it on the forums because not only we have many French people around here but also some answers in the quiz are just completely hilarious (and sometimes NSFW).

http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/17562?utm_source=facebook-share&utm_campaign=17562&utm_medium=itemphoto

Even if you only know basic French it might be worth trying for you :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

There was on those sponsored ads in my Facebook feed I did it with my brother we made oh so many jokes about the answers, we really had a good laugh. Mostly because we're native French speakers but even for someone who don't speak French it's pretty interesting :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Well the quiz is for non-French people, after all. But some of those people with basic French knowledge might nonetheless find some of the answers funny or be inclined to translate them once they finished the test, just for laughs. As a French person, though, it was even funnier :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ben_g

Epharius

Some of the questions are not easy, like "Avoir un poil dans la main" (I do know some French people who don't know what this sentence mean).

I could test my French and I made only one mistake, phew! :P
I'm french so, sorry if you lose your eyes while reading one of my posts

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I couldn't answer that one right. It's not something I ever heard in Quebec.

Adriweb

Looks like I'm pretty good at understanding French
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Hayleia

QuoteFinish this sequence: "un, deux, trois..."
-Quatre
-Sept
-Nuit
-Cinq
1) this is not a sentence.
2) I don't know, the roots of (X-1)(X-2)(X-3)(X-7) are 1,2,3,7, so maybe that's what they're talking about.

QuoteWhat does this mean: "Aidez-mois, s'il vous plaît!"
This doesn't mean c. Remove an 's' and we can talk.

The answer I got wrong was the one about wine. I don't drink alcohol a and that's not really "Basic French" wtf -.-

E37

All that proved is that I can use google translate...  :P
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 02, 2016, 04:31:13 PM
Yeah I couldn't answer that one right. It's not something I ever heard in Quebec.
Yeah, I did hear it at least once, but it's not really something we say, indeed.

Also how do we say goodbye

JE TE DÉTESTE

(litt. I hate you)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Adriweb

Quote from: Epharius on September 02, 2016, 02:53:43 PM
Some of the questions are not easy, like "Avoir un poil dans la main" (I do know some French people who don't know what this sentence mean).

woot
I've always heard that phrase :P

(or variations on it, like a teacher saying "C'est même plus un poil que t'as dans la main, c'est un palmier")
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Snektron

I dropped french in highschool for German. Other than that our school gave a lot of homework for French i have German speaking family. Not that i can talk German really good now, im bad in languages other than programming languages :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

c4ooo

heil mien fuhrer
ohh c wrong language

Scipi

QuoteYour Score: 65%
Comme ci comme ça
Your French is so-so. You might be able to get around in France with a little help here and there.

Yeah. Right. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

novenary

Quote from: Adriweb on September 02, 2016, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: Epharius on September 02, 2016, 02:53:43 PM

woot
I've always heard that phrase :P

(or variations on it, like a teacher saying "C'est même plus un poil que t'as dans la main, c'est un palmier")
I've heard "un baobab". :P