Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(POLL) Which Featured projects layout do you prefer?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 19, 2015, 03:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Featured projects layout do you prefer?

Current layout (1st screenshot below)
2 (22.2%)
Compact layout (2nd screenshot)
7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Dream of Omnimaga

The featured projects section is getting quite large and I do not want to single out any project just to keep it small. However, it makes the board longer to scroll and some people might find it harder to navigate that way.

So I am wondering, would you prefer that the projects section continue looking like this?

Or would you prefer that it becomes more compact, like this? (all projects, including the non-project-specific sub-forums, would be listed below. The icons would also be clickable)

This is something I considered changing, but I first want to see if members would approve such move. Vote in the poll above!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

• Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Same here, otherwise it's going to make it impossible to scroll down to the main boards. :P

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

c4ooo

I see how the first option is going to clutter the board. However, i think the second option is a bit to compact. Furthermore, the second option makes my eyes bleed because not all the icon are the same size. If it was up to me, i would go with option #2, but put each icon on a new line, and add a small one line description. that also serves as a link. Alternatively, it would be nice if  the project authors all made congruent, square, icons.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean like on Cemetech? I would need to remove the child board listing for that sub-forum, although I guess I could simply make everything on separate lines and still keep the child boards list that appear by default.

As for icons I can't really help it since they aren't uniform, but I'll see what I can do.

Doing it like Cemetech would require some PHP knowledge, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

Maybe restrict it to 'Super Featured Projects' and Featured Projects, choosing the first example for the SFP and the second example for the Featured Projects. Super Featured Projects should be restricted to 3/5 then, imo. Just a quick idea, without thinking of consequences :P
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

semiprocoder

I don't know, but I think that the first option is better, but I think that if you made the icons upscaled 3 or so times, so that it is harder to misclick, the second option could be better without any real changes.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p4nix on September 19, 2015, 10:39:25 PM
Maybe restrict it to 'Super Featured Projects' and Featured Projects, choosing the first example for the SFP and the second example for the Featured Projects. Super Featured Projects should be restricted to 3/5 then, imo. Just a quick idea, without thinking of consequences :P
Do you think we could just list non-project-specific sub-forums into 1 big board with child boards like in example 2, but keep all single project subforums separate like now?