Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Garvalf's pico-8 projects

Started by garvalf, June 08, 2016, 02:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garvalf

I've just started a little pico-8 game, it's not finished but here is a demo:

http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3565

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

p4nix

Wow, that concept looks really cool. I think bigger sprites would be greater, but this artstyle is definitely nice too. Anyway, 128x128 is a bit small to be honest, I have my experience with the 128x64 monochrome which can't really do greyscale...

Keep your good work up and let me and the others stay tuned :3
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Yuki

Hey, I like this! There's a few collision oddities, but you let the fox eat the carrot and the hunter kill the fox already, nice :)

Keep up the good job.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

That is cool and fun. I also like how it looks like. Glad to see you got into PICO-8.

The only issue I found so far is if you hold down the X button, the hunter goes on a shooting rampage and shoots so many bullets that they won't even reach you :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

thanks, I've taken into account your feedback. Now you can't avoid to have the bullets reaching at least the half of the screen before disappearing. I've also made a basic title screen and you go back to it after loosing 3 lives.

To make a proper handling of bullets, I should have used Object-oriented programming, so I could have had an half dozen of bullets at the same time. But I didn't know how to do it quickly, so it'll be for another project.

For the (simple) game play, I was inspired by a mini game in android app called Cthulhu Virtual Pet:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Neurocreativa.CthulhuVirtualPet (you can see it in action around 0'48" on the video)

I was also inspired a bit by the game Amidar, I like the fact all the opponents' movements are not random, yet it remains quite difficult to master. I'll probably update the game on the lexaloffle forum in a few days.

• Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

I really need to learn how to handle multiple bullet shooting myself, it seems a bit tricky to do it without losing speed.

I hope to see more games from you in the future. Maybe a game that uses remakes of your songs? 
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, there's a basic concept of objects the best you can do is probably putting info on each bullet in an array of objects and looping through each of them.

And yeah, music would be nice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

An issue tho.is if the language has a crappy For loop implementation or no small faster alternative. With hybrid CE basic we might be fine but I recall speed issues in HP PPL

garvalf

I found this game quite useful for getting code for bullet: http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3359 (it's a great game btw). I got the collision engine from this one. I wasn't in a courageous mood for using the bullet code as well :)

I sure will include some music in the game. At the moment it was too repetitive to be used but I'm working on it.

I've already coded some interactive fictions (in French) but that's all:
http://ifwiki.org/index.php?title=Otto

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the link. My main problem right now with multi-bullet support in GalagACE is bullet collision detection, which I can't seem to do in as few code as possible.

Also I'll check your work out soon :)

garvalf

I've uploaded a new version, with some improvements:

* title screen (very basic at the moment)
* music !
* score
* you can loose lifes
* new levels (3 so far) and challenges (level 2 there are random shots, level 3 you will loose if you reach the bottom of the screen)
* you can try to shoot the fox, after 10 hits you get a new life
* new animations
* + secret feature

http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3565

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool :D. I will listen to the game music and try the update later. :) Do you plan to create separate topics for each game  by the way? We could make the topics appear in the games section of CW for more visibility if that's the case.

garvalf

ok, maybe I'll make a new post about the finished product...

Dream of Omnimaga

Which reminds me, I wonder if something like Supersonic Ball on the TI-83+ would be feasible on PICO-8...

garvalf

With this new June 2016 Monthly CW Project award poll, there is something big at stake so... I've made this project more walrus friendly, with a new "walrus_enabled" variable:

you can test it online:

http://garvalf.online.fr/temp/walrus/walrus.html

There are still carrots instead of fish, and the walrus is quite static because it's quite a p.i.t.a. to code the animation of something that is using 2x2 sprites, but in the case my project ranks high in the poll, I might animate it as well. Of course, if it ends in the first place, I'll replace those boring carrots by some tasteful fishes ;)