Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

First Fantasy port for CE calcs [TI-84+CE][BASIC]

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 02, 2015, 06:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

This uses CE TextLib and Invert by DrDnar by the way.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Whoa, it seems a little slower, but how much did you have to change to get that working?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

The CE emulator is much slower than the real calc but for some reasons, during this program execution it almost ran at the same speed as the calc. Certain parts are faster, but others are slower. What is slower is when I run Asm(prgmNAME) every loop iteration or when I store a string inside Ans or a variable.

Not that much have changed, it's mostly how I erase the screen and change text color that have to be changed. Also his lib only supports 15 colors, versus 65536 for DCSE (or 256 for xLIBC)

EDIT: This is how the intro text looks like:

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Due to limitations, the graphics look a bit different than the CSE version and the HUD now only appears when selecting battle commands like in the 2002 game, along with the menu. But so far I managed to keep the game speed and look somewhat similar or faster. The biggest change in magic animations are Aura, as demonstrated in the last screenshot, and Holy. The other changes are merely colors or removing translucency.

For reference, here is how the TI-83+ and TI-84+CSE games looked like: https://img.ourl.ca/mfffmfcomparison.png

The game also uses that screen inverting routine that DrDnar posted in the other thread in order to erase the ugly white border around the gameplay area that resulted otherwise.

Also here are updated screenshots that also got deleted due to the database rollback, one showcasing a boss fight and the other the Omega magic animation:

Unicorn

As I said earlier, very cool! You make good use of those libs!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks. To be honest I'm kinda happy about how Omega and Aura turned out in particular. I had to decrease the lenght of Omega, though, because the flashing was too intense to last this long.

Unicorn

I guess the length is good for grinding purposes, but flashing i awesome :P

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

It's more that it might cause seizures if it's that much more intense on the CE than it was on the CSE (the CSE had scanlines and blur so flashing was not as intense) and I tried playing in the dark and it almost hurts my eyes. Hence why I toned it down. But yeah, also shorter spells helps for grinding. :P

Unicorn

Yeah, that would hurt. :P
I remember a spell, I believe it was holy, that hurt my eyes I used it so many times on the bus to school. :P

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that one was quite hurtful because the flashing was slow enough to not be affected by scanlines and motion blur.

By the way, here are some of the notable spell changes

Bolt: Screen flashes to yellow instead of white
Poison: Now yellow, white and green instead of just green
Holy: No longer flashes (it stays white during the animation)
Aura: Shows a flashing RGB cross instead of weird LSD RGB square
Blitz: Flashes between dark blue and yellow instead of white and black.
Omega: Ray of light is much larger but more blocky and more rainbow. The rainbow flash now repeats a few times but lasts shorter.

Unicorn

Sounds good! So how close are you to finishing now?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't work on the game for 2 days now I think, due to being busy with CW, but the final battle and ending are what's left to be done. Unless, of course, other bugs appear.

Unicorn

Awesome! So an about 3-7 days and its done? Or a week to release?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???