Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Claw development system, a multiplatform programming platform [multiplatform]

Started by DarkestEx, May 07, 2016, 05:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 23, 2016, 06:11:33 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on July 22, 2016, 05:49:50 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 22, 2016, 01:14:17 AM
You could always give him a bit of disk space but you would need to make sure the php script cannot hinder the rest of the server's performance if it contains bugs or during extensive use (for example if someone compiles over and over while debugging, which is very common).
It's not going to be PHP but a compiled linux program. Otherwise I would host it on my site.
Ah ok I wasn't sure, because some people tend to release their programs as PHP and require the user to install Apache locally in order to run it or stuff like that, which can be an hassle.
Well my initial idea was to write it entirely in PHP which can be used on a computer very easily without apache or anything similar. There are php downloads for any computer platform so this wouldn't have been a problem.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Weird, I always thought that running PHP scripts locally required installing Apache and other things. At least, that's what I had to do back then IIRC. Hopefully you can find a solution that doesn't require the user to install such thing and allow them to run the script via double-click on their computer, like any exe file.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 24, 2016, 06:36:30 AM
Weird, I always thought that running PHP scripts locally required installing Apache and other things. At least, that's what I had to do back then IIRC. Hopefully you can find a solution that doesn't require the user to install such thing and allow them to run the script via double-click on their computer, like any exe file.
Well the most user-friendly way will be the web application. Also the offline compiler will also support just dropping the input file onto the compiler. There will not be any windows or graphics gui though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

So kinda like a batch file? That would be fine I guess. It just needs to be quick, as to not turn away most people, especially since the language kinda targets less tech-savy people overall (since the more tech-savy users are more likely to stick to C or x86 ASM).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

You cant drag and drop onto a batch file, batch files are just a list of Windows CMD commands that are executed ;)

DarkestEx

Quote from: c4ooo on July 24, 2016, 04:22:47 PM
You cant drag and drop onto a batch file, batch files are just a list of Windows CMD commands that are executed ;)
And you are wrong. You can drag onto a batch file and access the path using variables.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 24, 2016, 04:21:43 PM
So kinda like a batch file? That would be fine I guess. It just needs to be quick, as to not turn away most people, especially since the language kinda targets less tech-savy people overall (since the more tech-savy users are more likely to stick to C or x86 ASM).
Claw compiler will always be a compiled binary. And about easyness, it will not be hard.
Also Claw is targeted at advanced users too. I will use it for remotely updating the firmware in IoT projects and also to allow me to run stuff from sd card. Claw is not made just to be simple. I need it in a number of actual projects.

Dream of Omnimaga

I drag and dropped files into batch files many times. ;) One notable calculator example is TI-Boy SE.

Also regarding advanced users I meant that Claw would also target less advanced users as well, who tend to be turned away by anything that is either tedious or complicated to use.

c4ooo

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 24, 2016, 04:30:37 PM
Also regarding advanced users I meant that Claw would also target less advanced users as well, who tend to be turned away by anything that is either tedious or complicated to use.
Yes, I am not planning to make Claw complicated but it will still be powerful.

Quote from: c4ooo on July 24, 2016, 04:38:17 PM
errrrrrr how does that work?
You can use %0, %1, ... to access the arguments that were passed to be batch file. If you drag a file onto a batch file, argument 0 should be the workdir and argument 1 the dropped file.

c4ooo

Ohh, don't know that :)

Anyways, i think it would be really usefull for some people if you could make a javascript based VM so they can easily run claw programs on their sites :)

DarkestEx

Quote from: c4ooo on July 24, 2016, 04:50:23 PM
Ohh, don't know that :)

Anyways, i think it would be really usefull for some people if you could make a javascript based VM so they can easily run claw programs on their sites :)
While this idea sounds nice, the only thing I could offer is emscripten (I think) which turns C code into JavaScript.
This would totally work.

c4ooo

You would probably have to rewrite it then. I doubt the tool will correct convert C drawing calls into canvas drawing calls, fileIO calls into cookies (the only way to save stuff onto the user's computer in javascript) and so on.

DarkestEx

Quote from: c4ooo on July 24, 2016, 05:10:19 PM
You would probably have to rewrite it then. I doubt the tool will correct convert C drawing calls into canvas drawing calls, fileIO calls into cookies (the only way to save stuff onto the user's computer in javascript) and so on.
Pretty simple, I won't. I really dislike Javascript as a language and will not rewrite it. About the drawing, that is an external module, not a built-in feature.

Dream of Omnimaga

I can't imagine how CPU-intensive Claw games converted to Emscripten would be. Just look at Opossum Massage Simulator in the CW Arcade section to see what I mean... O.O

Unless the CPU hog depends of the browser you use?

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 25, 2016, 07:51:26 AM
I can't imagine how CPU-intensive Claw games converted to Emscripten would be. Just look at Opossum Massage Simulator in the CW Arcade section to see what I mean... O.O

Unless the CPU hog depends of the browser you use?
I doubt it'll be too fast, yes. It's probably dead slow but I wasn't really going for it anyways. It's really unlikely that I'll port Claw to javascript but i am sure there is some way to make it work. I I thinking about an offline client that runs on your pc and is connected to the web ide. Maybe even a little webserver that is only accessible on the users pc that takes requests from the web ide and executes the code locally.