Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Should I uninstall Mobile Heal Pro from my Android ?

Started by Hayleia, March 06, 2015, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

I installed Mobile Heal Pro some time ago for some reason I forgot. It is supposed to be an anti virus (and a lot more according to its GPlay description).

Why do I wonder if I should uninstall it ? I just received an email from them saying that Mobile Heal Pro allowed me to "manage my child device from anywhere, remotely", including :
-Antitheft and GPS tracking
-Backup of contacts/sms/call history
-Remote Lock
-Remote Alarm
-Remote Data Wipe

And you're going to tell me "you were aware of those features when you installed it no ? so why are you only scared now ?"
Well, because that email also says "your logins and password for your account are", followed with my login and generated password in clear...

So, should I uninstall it ?

Yuki

I do not trust any app that has Remote Data Wipe. Also looks pretty shady. So, yes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Remove it. I hope by removing it it won't do anything even worse to your phone. I generally avoid such app anyway.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

Ok, well I made a backup of it just in case then removed it.
Thanks for the answers :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Good to know it went well. :) Btw I never used antiviruses on my phone and never had issues.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

I never had issues either but I think I actually got that thing when it was on sale, like free for a day or something so I got it for no real reason but why not if it's free ?

And I was not worried the devs themselves would do something weird, I was more worried about the fact some people who make an application for security purposes actually send emails with a password in it, as if the password was stored as is in their database so that someone with bad intentions can hack their website, get all passwords and play with people's phones...

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I don't like when an email send me my exact password. That said, it can be convenient in case you are the type of person to easily forget your passwords soon after signing up to a website, but otherwise I feel it's a security risk. What if someone guesses my email password then finds all my forum passwords there?

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

^most offtopic post in CodeWalrus history? O.O

But yeah I just saw the ID now. Good thing this wasn't in topic 42 like 1337 O.O

http://codewalr.us/42/1337

Snektron

But i don't install remote wipe things (i don't even have a lock on my phone lol)

novenary

Lol it's not like you need an antivirus on android. Besides all these features are already built-in by Google so remove it I guess.
I don't even use an antivirus on windows these days. Well, except for the built in one which is perfectly fine since I never get viruses.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Quote from: Streetwalrus on March 08, 2015, 07:58:59 AM
I don't even use an antivirus on windows these days. Well, except for the built in one which is perfectly fine since I never get viruses.
Yeah i don't have too ;D
And if you only download apps from the playstore there's not really need for an antivirus on android

Dream of Omnimaga

I remember back when at school you were almost guaranteed to get a virus on every IE session.>.<