Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Contests discussion (split thread)

Started by Unicorn, April 04, 2015, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Quote from: Unicorn on April 13, 2015, 05:38:26 PM
Please no...

Hybrid BASIC?
Quote from: DarkestEx on April 13, 2015, 06:29:39 PM
No! Please Axe and Basic! O.O
People can always learn the other language, but I don't like being forced to use TI-BASIC when not necessary.
I think there should be either a file size limit and/or a closer time limit (less time) instead.
The game itself should be judged, not the language.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2015, 04:23:26 PM
Every platform I own is supported
@DarkestEx @Unicorn i think you guys must have misread something...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

No,DJ said that TI BASIC entries woud be hard for the theme. I know that every format that DJ has is supported.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

Oh I understood that the use of Basic is what is going to make this contest hard.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

This is why people should try to read carefully before replying to posts. :P  (although I forgive you since none of us speak English as native language.)

Basically, what I meant is that this contest allows every single language and about 30 platforms. It's just that people who use pure TI-83+ BASIC will probably have an harder time competing, due to nature of the contest theme. And the platforms that can participate are the following:

Windows (must be Windows 7 compatible)
Android
Web-based (although of course the user would need to send the file since the contest would not allow sharing entries before the end)
TI-81/82/+/Stats/83/+/84+/SE/CSE/85/86/89/92/Nspire
Casio FX-7000G/9750GII/9860G/fx-CG10/20/CP400
HP 39gII/Prime

The TI-84+CE is a possibility if I get one before the contest ends. Basically I need the platform to run entries :P.

Also another possibility is if I get more free time than expected this month, then I could launch the contest earlier than now planned, but judging would not start until my work vacations begin.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2015, 10:18:36 PMBasically, what I meant is that this contest allows every single language and about 30 platforms. It's just that people who use pure TI-83+ BASIC will probably have an harder time competing, due to nature of the contest theme. And the platforms that can participate are the following:

Windows (must be Windows 7 compatible)
Android
Web-based (although of course the user would need to send the file since the contest would not allow sharing entries before the end)
TI-81/82/+/Stats/83/+/84+/SE/CSE/85/86/89/92/Nspire
Casio FX-7000G/9750GII/9860G/fx-CG10/20/CP400
HP 39gII/Prime

The TI-84+CE is a possibility if I get one before the contest ends. Basically I need the platform to run entries :P.

Also another possibility is if I get more free time than expected this month, then I could launch the contest earlier than now planned, but judging would not start until my work vacations begin.
Sounds good to me :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Seems good to me. What abour colors already?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol cumred. :P But yeah it can be monochrome, color or grayscale.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

That reminds me, I have to write down the contest rules and disclaimers in the staff board before I can even think about launching it in 2 weeks. >.< While I got the basic idea done, I also need to write the legal part so that the contest remains legal for the most part. :P

I might just exclude Quebec from participating to make it easier (Quebec contest rules are a major PITA to deal with), seeing as we only have two members living there including myself and they can't participate due to being staff anyway. There was also another country with insane contest/gambling restrictions but I forgot which one.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Augh, such contests are just created to push people to improve their programing skills, how could they be considerated as belonging to gambling?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 15, 2015, 03:44:50 PM
That reminds me, I have to write down the contest rules and disclaimers in the staff board before I can even think about launching it in 2 weeks. >.< While I got the basic idea done, I also need to write the legal part so that the contest remains legal for the most part. :P

I might just exclude Quebec from participating to make it easier (Quebec contest rules are a major PITA to deal with), seeing as we only have two members living there including myself and they can't participate due to being staff anyway. There was also another country with insane contest/gambling restrictions but I forgot which one.

The country was called unicornland. But, I started a revolution to take back the homeland a few days ago, and now all unicorns can participate in conests.

In all seriousness though, contest restrictions? geez.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

What a government can come up with...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on April 16, 2015, 07:41:32 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 15, 2015, 03:44:50 PM

The country was called unicornland. But, I started a revolution to take back the homeland a few days ago, and now all unicorns can participate in conests.

In all seriousness though, contest restrictions? geez.
Quebec's contest restrictions is because Qc government runs the only lottery company in the province and they don't want to lose their monopoly. They see most contest attempts as gambling and competition to their monopoly.

Snektron

Paranoia much? also sound a bit corrupt too...

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. If someone from Quebec wins our $25 prize then I owe the government $2.50 in taxes on the prize. Also to allow quebec contestants to win a prize my contest must have a french version of the rules available.

The "Régie des Alcools et des Jeux" (Alcohol and Gambling Authority/Minister) really need to change their rules at one point.