Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Raspberry Pi 2

Started by novenary, February 02, 2015, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vogtinator

QuoteNo, the emulator uses x86 ask so it's not very portable.
Firebird runs on the pi2, but even with JIT it's quite slow.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Strontium

I've been using a Beaglebone Black for a while. Looks like the Raspi 2 is a bit more powerful, so I might get one. Not sure, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

DarkestEx

Quote from: Strontium on June 24, 2015, 01:49:48 AM
I've been using a Beaglebone Black for a while. Looks like the Raspi 2 is a bit more powerful, so I might get one. Not sure, though.
Well from what I tried the Pi 2 I don't feel any difference to the Pi B+
BTW. I have a beaglebone black too, it's quite nice as it has a lot more IO than the Pi 2.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

Oh, the pi2 runs Firefox (!) just fine. It's definitely faster than the old one. The 4 cores help keep the ui responsive, it's just that anything that draws to the screen is still too slow. As in low framerate and lots of tearing because no vsync.

Dream of Omnimaga

Does that include Atari 2600, NES and SNES emulators, Street?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ben_g

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 24, 2015, 03:56:10 PM
The raspberry pi should be able to emulate consoles of up to generation 5 (Playstation 1, Nintendo64) at full speed, so it shouldn't have any problems with Atari 2600, NES and SNES. While the general UI is slow and has lots of tearing, applications that render on the GPU are very responsive and they worked well. While I didn't try any emulators on it, I tried Minecraft on that thing, and I was amazed at how smooth it was.

Strontium

Quote from: DarkestEx on June 24, 2015, 05:05:12 AM
Quote from: Strontium on June 24, 2015, 01:49:48 AM
Well from what I tried the Pi 2 I don't feel any difference to the Pi B+
BTW. I have a beaglebone black too, it's quite nice as it has a lot more IO than the Pi 2.

I do like the fact the Beaglebone has so much more IO. I'm going to be sticking to the Beaglebone for a while, until something better (in my opinion) comes out.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: ben_g on June 25, 2015, 08:14:23 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 24, 2015, 03:56:10 PM
The raspberry pi should be able to emulate consoles of up to generation 5 (Playstation 1, Nintendo64) at full speed, so it shouldn't have any problems with Atari 2600, NES and SNES. While the general UI is slow and has lots of tearing, applications that render on the GPU are very responsive and they worked well. While I didn't try any emulators on it, I tried Minecraft on that thing, and I was amazed at how smooth it was.
Ah nice. I was worried when he said "anything that draws to the screen" and thought that he meant it literally.

That said, with all the reports about speed issues, I think I'll pass on the RPi2 for now. Especially with shipping costs and the Canadian dollar, I am better off sticking to my Nexus 5 for the time being, since getting a new computer device is not high enough in my priorities.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Well the raspberry pi is more interesting for programmers and people who know a bit of linux and just want to mess around with small server applications. You probably won't have anything to do with the Pi, DJ. :P

Snektron

I hoped to use the RPI to interact with some electronics and create a few small circuits to play around with, since i could set pins from my PC via SSH. Though sadly my rpi has given up and is extremely slow for some reason (a few months back it was fine)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Is it due to hardware issues or is it due to a software?

CKH4

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 27, 2015, 10:03:52 AM
I hoped to use the RPI to interact with some electronics and create a few small circuits to play around with, since i could set pins from my PC via SSH. Though sadly my rpi has given up and is extremely slow for some reason (a few months back it was fine)
Huh, that is a shame. It's a bit weird because my pi's (1 and 2) run fine (although I don't use them often).
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+