Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

3D models - A call To Arms [3d][z80][ez80]

Started by TheMachine02, May 09, 2017, 05:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMachine02

As you might know, when creating a 3D games, models play an huge part for everything. Even if the engine is one of most important part, what is displayed is even more important.

Some idea about a 3D RPG circle around my head faster and faster with the developpement of color glib. The engine get to a point that it might be usefull for displaying vivid world and monster, in a semi-iteractives framerates  :P
However, my skill with blender and texturing are close to zero : I can retouch some model and rigs the at least, but to create one from ground up, I fail miserably. I could tackle some texturing with the huge image:texture bank I have from ripped game, but don't expect much though.

What do I need ? Well, 3D models ranging from the main character to some monster (even if those can be ripped for testing, and replaced much much later). Ideally those should be low poly enough to be displayed, but I could handle this part (I've have several nice technique to lower poly count, so it isn't much important).

One model I would love to see is a main character. Well, to be honest, I have several idea of what he/she could look like, but I won't describe it extensively if nobody might create it  :P

So, this lead to the main question : who feel he could create a 3D model for a fantasy based 3D RPG in low poly with texture ?  :P

Snektron

Wans't there a walrii 3d model? that seems like a good main character  ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

p2

it had cute eyes and tusks, but the flimmers were weird...
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

tr1p1ea

There is another model of that walrii:

But it needs work obviously as it was a quickly made model.

Not sure how well it would work in an RPG however - plus it has no textures.

Perhaps more appropriately some classic RPG models can be made, or found for free online etc?

p2

I'd love to help but I have absolutely 0 experience with creating textures...  :-\
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Dream of Omnimaga

A Walrii RPG would definitively be nice. I can' t help, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Hmm... Given the target hardware's limitations, I take it you're expecting high-end in-game, PlayStation 1-grade models and textures?

It's been a while since I've played with Blender, but last time I did manage to create and rig basic, untextured humanoid models. I also happen to draw and I'm bored of fulfilling requests from rather single-minded fellow students.

Care to give me a description of what you're looking for? Even if my humble modelling and untried texturing skills end up not being up to the task, I could use some new ideas for doodling.

p2

then I guess I'm on the same level as u, @Jean-Baptiste Boric ^^

I guess low-poly models like the good old EmpireEarth 1 ones? ;)

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Probably, though I would rather compare with in-game Resident Evil 3. I do need to dust off Blender, I don't have any models to show (and before that, I need to draw character sheet references to model from).

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe it would be better to have some of the models use lower end graphics like Stsr Fox on the SNES too, such as if there are plane/spaceship enemies, for the sake of speed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Jean-Baptiste Boric

According to the posts I've seen, it looks like gLib can output roughly between 2500 and 5000 triangles per second, about an order of magnitude less than a typical PlayStation 1 game. A Star Fox clone running at ~20 FPS sounds doable, especially with tricks like LOD or precalculated culling. The original Crash Bandicoot trilogy could push a truly ridiculous amount of polygons per seconds with these tricks, but you'd run out of RAM pretty quickly with that approach here.

tr1p1ea

Except that TM02 is talking about making an RPG - not a starfox clone.

TheMachine02

Indeed the project is more toward an RPG  :P

Anyway, thanks for your response. I'll get a folder with art & design and send it to you (just need to find some time to do it).

For polygon count, gLib is able to push about ~8000 polygones per frame when counting backface culling, but this number lower when considering full screen rendering. (For model however, they can be detailed, triangles which doesn't appears at the screen (if they have a width a 0 for example) are culled quite early in pipeline. Vertex processing performance is around 2200 cycles / vertex lighted, so about 22000 vertex/s . With this in mind, I think model should be about 600 triangles, maybe a bit more, up to 800 triangles. Main issues will be RAM of course, but I'll take care of that don't worry about it. gLib is designed for streaming data from flash anyway.

xMarminq_

• Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Dream of Omnimaga

Something I am curious about is if gLib can render scaled/rotated 2D sprites fast. Many Nintendo 64 games use 2D sprites, such as the karts and characters in Mario Kart 64, although they're usually blurry. Couldn't the characters be made out of pre-rendered 3D frames like in Donkey Kong Country and Mario Kart 64 and the rest in 3D to save speed?