Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CMG's Video Game Recommendations (Console/PC/Mobile)

Started by ::CMG (UTOPIA)::, July 08, 2016, 12:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

This topic is basically a list of games that I've been really getting into that i highly recommend (as the title says).  To prevent the first post from dragging on so long (I.E. save space), I've put each game in their own spoiler tag.

Ninja Girls / Girls X Battle
[spoiler]

PLATFORM = MOBILE

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS GAME GOES UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES DEPENDING ON WHAT COUNTRY/LANGUAGE YOU LIVE/SPEAK**

• North America = Ninja Girls
  • South East Asia = Girls X Battle
  • Indonesia = Sexy Academy
  • Thailand = Kawaii Academy
  • Vietnam = Học Viện Tam Quốc
**ALSO NOTE THAT DEPENDING ON WHICH VERSION YOU PLAY, YOU'LL RECIEVE DIFFERENT GIRLS.  FOR EXAMPLE, IN "NINJA GIRLS" YOU START WITH "REDEYES" WHILE IN "GIRLS X BATTLE" YOU START WITH "AQUARIS"**

This game is an anime-style rpg in which all the characters you acquire and face are all anime girls.  The girls appear as collectible cards that you "summon" to face the opponent and their team.  There is a campaign mode (which the story is goofy, but bare-bones), a VS mode where you can face anyone online (Top Floor, Arena, & 1 On 1), and many more modes such as "Champion" (open a chest for prizes everytime you beat a team, difficulty increases with each gold chest opened), "Evaluation" (you can train and take challenges for prizes), "Infinity" (you face off against tough bosses with stipulations on how to beat them), and "Work Place" (you set up shop to collect coins/diamonds over time & can rob other players).  You can also set up your own guild and invite other people to join and take on challenges together.  Theres also a store where you can buy things with the coins/diamonds you win (along with other currancy like guild coins, champion medals, and 1 on 1 medals) Each girl has upgradable armor/equipment and powerful spells/skills (incuding passive skills) that are unlocked the higher the level/rank.  There are always events happening to mix things up, and the higher your acadamy level, the more stuff is unlocked to you.  Best of all, this is one of those games where you don't need to spend any real money on any of the micro-transactions (I've gotten though level 50 and up without spending a dime on this game).

**PLEASE NOTE, THIS GAME REQUIRES SOME SORT OF CONNECTION (MOBILE DATA/WIFI) AS IT'S ONE OF THOSE "ALWAYS ONLINE" GAMES**
[/spoiler]

The Battle Cats
[spoiler]

PLATFORM = MOBILE & 3DS

If you like Tower Defense games and cat related things then you should definitely give this game a try.  This is the first tower defense game I played and I enjoy it immensely.  You send a bunch of different cats to attack the enemies and their tower.  As you progress, you can acquire more cats, and upgrade them to different levels.  Each stage has treasures you can find that will increase a certain stat (like XP gain and cat unit attack power).  The battle system is simple, just touch a cat icon that you equipped on your team and let them do the rest.

There's two different versions of this game.  The Mobile game, and the 3DS game (a.k.a. POP).  I recommend the 3DS version if you have a 3DS, because you don't have to worry about any micro-transactions since they are gone, plus you can play local vs with a buddy.  The downside is that their are only 3 chapters, unlike the mobile game which has double that plus more.
[/spoiler]

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm interesting, I never heard of that game before. I'm glad it doesn't require micro-transactions to get to high levels. I might check it out at some point, although I don't play mobile games often.

Do you play console/PC games by the way?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 08, 2016, 01:17:22 AM
Do you play console/PC games by the way?

Yep... I'm mostly glued to my 3DS, but i also have a PS2, Wii (modded with NES, Genesis, SNES games), GameCube, N64, Saturn, and PS1.  Only reason why i have BOTH PS1 & PS2 is because I'm using component cables for the PS2 which the PS1 is not compatible with (PS1 games on component hookup either don't show picture or they do but they get all screwy/glitchy depending on the game).  I have a Steam account too, but i need to get a new controller for my computer (lookin to see how a PS3 controller works on Ubuntu since I hate how the Xbox360 controller feels, especially the d-pad).

Dream of Omnimaga

I see. I didn't play 3DS games in a while but I have many. I am mostly a game collector so I often buy more games than I play them, but I am very into Nintendo games lately. I got all those consoles except the Saturn. I also got the more recent consoles and an Atari but I mostly play on the Wii U for the time being. I was a big PS1 and PS2 fan back then because of the JRPGs but my favorite console of all time is the Super Nintendo.

On a side note, did you know that CodeWalrus members also make games? Most are for Texas Instruments calculators, though, and are very old-school lol. Some of us are also fans of PICO-8.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Added a new game recommendation (The Battle Cats)

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm this makes me want to work on a walrus-themed game. :P (maybe revive Pokéwalrus). Is this game free by the way?

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. Are there even any games on the 3DS that are free or does Nintendo require every developer to charge money?

Ivoah

I'd recommend Super Hexagon! A very intense reflex game that involves dodging hexagons and other shapes flying towards you.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 02, 2016, 03:08:32 AM
Ah ok. Are there even any games on the 3DS that are free or does Nintendo require every developer to charge money?

Pokemon Shuffle is free on the 3DS, but it has the same micro-transaction bullc as most mobile games.

Also a few apps are free to download (YouTube/Netflix, etc...)

Dream of Omnimaga

@Ivoah I can't last more than 1 second at Super Hexagon. D: By the way did you know that that game was ported to the TI-Nspire? It's called Super Hexaspire.

@::CMG (UTOPIA):: I see. That sucks. I hate microtransactions because most games that use them rely too much on them.  There are also games that got bad reviews because they were basically cash machines. One notable example was Final Fantasy All the Bravest, which required in-app purchases even for rudimentary material.