Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sorcery of Uvutu 84+ Series Port

Started by 123outerme, January 29, 2017, 06:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I hope to see this game on PC someday. It would be great and maybe have a large audience. It's nice to see it run on a CSE/84+ tho
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Turns out that learning Java had more to do with Sorcery than just taking my map-making time away:

That's right! I made a fully featured map maker in Java. My old map maker was an oncalc maker in TI-Basic. It was horribly slow and had such a roundabout way to actually insert the maps into my map AppVar. That was part of the reason I kept on complaining that map-making was difficult. Now, I get to make maps much faster and much easier! The only actual difficulty I have with making maps now is taking screenshots with that TI-84 greenish color instead of pure B/W. However, I'll write another program that just loads the map onto the screen so I can take a screenshot.
I believe I can distribute Eclipse projects as fully-fledged Java applications, so if you're interested in making maps for me now, please contact me.

In other news, I had to split the maps AppVar in two (eventually 3). Towards line ~18 or 20 of the AppVar, loading becomes slow. At about ~23, the wait becomes extremely noticeable. Coincidentally, 22 is where the first World 4 map was, so I split them at World 4, and will split them again at World 7. I had this same issue with Sorcery CSE (world 8 maps took longer to load than world 1 maps or even world 6/7 ones) although this problem wasn't nearly as serious as it is here. Of course, this means the same amount of space taken up by Sorcery, just more files to install.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

p4nix

Great work on that map editor @123outerme ! Always helps being able to write tools which simplify your life, after all this is the spirit of programming ^^
Looking forward to see some nice maps made with this.
Do you edit the maps also with the mouse or just with the keyboard?
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

123outerme

Quote from: p4nix on June 21, 2017, 10:42:46 PM
Great work on that map editor @123outerme ! Always helps being able to write tools which simplify your life, after all this is the spirit of programming ^^
Looking forward to see some nice maps made with this.
Do you edit the maps also with the mouse or just with the keyboard?
Thanks! Right now I do with the keyboard, but I was thinking about maybe changing that to a paint-style editor. Then again, they tell me if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it has loading support (aka I can load pre-existing maps flawlessly into the editor)

mazhat

Awesome map editor!
I have one for my project MOS.
For big maps the paint style is really helpful,
you can scribble around and make the world look natural.
Paint-style would just be a bit much for such a small map; Therefore if it works, it works.

My friend made a map editor for on-calc programs.
It's great for things such as this, but it only has 1 tile type besides for empty as of last week.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

123outerme

Quote from: mazhat on June 21, 2017, 10:51:40 PM
Awesome map editor!
Paint-style would just be a bit much for such a small map; Therefore if it works, it works.

It's great for things such as this, but it only has 1 tile type besides for empty as of last week.
Thanks! I bet you enjoy your map maker as much as I'm enjoying mine so far. It really is a breeze compared to what I used to have. I've made 2 worlds' worth of maps in just 3 days, which is more than I've made in an entire month!

Here's the latest screenshot showing all the game features.  Shows all the features implemented. The only thing left to do is implement maps!

Switchblade

Quote from: 123outerme on June 22, 2017, 07:43:42 PM
Awesome map editor!

Thanks! I bet you enjoy your map maker as much as I'm enjoying mine so far. It really is a breeze compared to what I used to have. I've made 2 worlds' worth of maps in just 3 days, which is more than I've made in an entire month!

Here's the latest screenshot showing all the game features.  Shows all the features implemented. The only thing left to do is implement maps!

That map maker and the progress looks awesome! Sorry I didn't help out as much as I had planned :( I got really busy and then forgot about it.

123outerme

Quote from: Switchblade on June 23, 2017, 02:05:38 AM
Quote from: 123outerme on June 22, 2017, 07:43:42 PM
Awesome map editor!

That map maker and the progress looks awesome! Sorry I didn't help out as much as I had planned :( I got really busy and then forgot about it.
Thanks! Also it's not a problem, I did just fine and now I intend to finish making maps, test it all out, and release within a week or so.

123outerme

Hello everyone! I'm officially releasing within two days!
Okay, it will be quite a few hours from now (after I sleep at least once), but maps are 90% complete! Well, actually, they're 89.6% complete (52/58 maps done as of posting) but you get the idea. All map stuff, NPC text, battles, bosses, etc. are complete. All that's left to do is finish maps and test everything. Thanks for sticking with me through this rough porting process, and I hope that everyone gets to enjoy Sorcery of Uvutu Monochrome over the weekend ;)

123outerme

The port is FINALLY finished!! You can download either in the topic OP, or in the main, stickied topic if you want both versions. I've uploaded Sorcery v1.4!

Dream of Omnimaga

I swear I replied here O.O

Anyway I'm gonna download it soon :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U