Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Project M discussion (split from Aqua-Wars)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 21, 2015, 04:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: aeTIos on February 23, 2016, 11:53:31 PM
Quote from: 123outerme on February 23, 2016, 10:15:42 PM
I just discovered that you can put Super Smash Bros Melee onto a Wii. However, it will be easiest to hack your Wii to do this. It's possible, but I don't know if anyone has made the code to launch it through Smash Stack (The SSBB level editor glitch thing). The hack runs Gamecube .iso's without the need for a physical disk. It's called Nintendont.

Materials:
* Nintendont software
* 2 GB SD card (must be 2 GB to accommodate the size of SSBM)
** You can also load Melee from a USB device, but I'm not sure how to do this. You should look it up if you're interested
* Homebrew Channel (Look up how to do this)
* Melee .iso file (Rip your own disc using one of the many USB loaders, otherwise you're on your own for obtaining an ISO)
* Wii (Duh)
* 1+ Gamecube controllers

Instructions:
*Follow the instructions for downloading the Homebrew Channel and Nintendont. Launch Nintendont. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Running from an USB drive is actually surprisingly easy; instead of putting the disc image on the SD card you put it on a fat32-formatted USB drive and pop it into USB port 1 on your wii. Also, you don't need a GC controller: you can use all sorts of controllers with nintendont, ranging from ps3 to classic wii gamepads to wiimote + nunchuck. It's really a marvelous piece of software. Myself, I even used bongos and the GC <> GBA cable with it. Works without a hitch.

If there's anyone struggling with hacking his/her(?) wii, just make a topic and mention me, I like to think I'm quite knowledgeable about it.

For more information on nintendont itself, refer to https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/ . It has everything you might want to know about it (because it is everything :P)
Thanks for the extra info aeTIos, I didn't actually know you could use different controllers though. I might just USB load if that's the case, I have an unused USB stick (8 GB?) sitting around somewhere. Also, sorry about that edit you had to made. Kinda forgot that obtaining an ISO is a touchy subject sometimes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

aetios

Nintendont even runs on the Wii U via the vWii,  personally however I still recommend using a regular Wii with GC ports as they have the best compatibility with games, and hey, you can use a real GC controller (Yes, I know you can use a Classic Controller Adapter but the real thing is so much more compatible). What i like about nintendont though is that you can also use it to bypass region locks on games:I have a PAL Wii, but an NTSC copy of F-Zero GX (a game which I wholeheartedly would recommend to anyone who owns a GC or Wii; this game shouldn't fail from your collection!). My Wii normally spits it out, but with nintendont it runs perfectly. Nothing beats the feeling of the real thing.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Araidia

Ah, Project M is so good while so sad that it had to shut down...
On a different note, have you guys heard of Project Ganondorf?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow @Araidia I missed your post it seems but I missed the shut down by an even larger margin O.O. I'm sad that this happened. Even worse is that the files are not listed on their website anymore, as it has been replaced with a letter announcing the shutdown. I hope they won't be lost forever (apparently the shutdown has nothing to do with Nintendo/legal issues). But I bet that eventually another group will take over or do an alternative.

THis is the letter for those who missed it: https://projectmgame.com/

It's a shame that when some game projects or online games die, that they no longer become playable. MMORPG shutdowns comes to mind (although thankfully I think some get revived, and this is partly why I tend to not invest much time and effort in online multiplayer games and especially development on newer consoles that might never get popular in a decade for homebrew dev.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Some sort of Super Smash Bros Brawl mod that fixed what many people saw as many problems in the game, so that it plays closer to Melee in style. Or at least, I think it was for Brawl.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2016, 08:30:40 PM
Some sort of Super Smash Bros Brawl mod that fixed what many people saw as many problems in the game, so that it plays closer to Melee in style. Or at least, I think it was for Brawl.
^Pretty much what he said
In more detail:
The problem with Brawl was that competitive players didn't like how slow paced Brawl was compared to Melee. There were also some character balance issues(like Metaknight being too overpowered). Also, some of the game mechanics didn't really support competitive because of some mechanics like random tripping(which would give an unfair advantage if it happened to the opponent because it could be punished).
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right, the competitive players vs casual players opinions, as usual. Kinda like fans of a franchise who don't like certain changes. That usually causes games to received a mixed reaction or at the very best a good response but a lot of criticism. What comes to mind is Mario kart Wii, which people found uncompetitive and too easy, while others found it more fun due to that. This is also why many people dislike SSB with items, while others find it more fun with them. As for game changes it's kinda similar: Notice for example the backlash that Simon's Quest and the Adventure of Link got.

I think that luck-based moves are kinda cheap, though, like the blue shell in Mario Kart. I'm ok with some luck-based stuff, but as long as it's somewhat fair during non-competitive games.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2016, 05:58:50 AM
Wow @Araidia I missed your post it seems but I missed the shut down by an even larger margin O.O. I'm sad that this happened. Even worse is that the files are not listed on their website anymore, as it has been replaced with a letter announcing the shutdown. I hope they won't be lost forever (apparently the shutdown has nothing to do with Nintendo/legal issues). But I bet that eventually another group will take over or do an alternative.

THis is the letter for those who missed it: https://projectmgame.com/

It's a shame that when some game projects or online games die, that they no longer become playable. MMORPG shutdowns comes to mind (although thankfully I think some get revived, and this is partly why I tend to not invest much time and effort in online multiplayer games and especially development on newer consoles that might never get popular in a decade for homebrew dev.
The files are still available at several mirrors, links to them are on /r/SSBPM. If you want them, that is. But I discovered Nintendont and now play Melee, and haven't looked back since. Not saying that you shouldn't give it a try though.

Dream of Omnimaga

But I assume that Nintendont don't have online support? (I think some GCN games had online gameplay, but not the mainstream ones) I know that Wii online capabilities are shut down but IIRC there are ways to continue playing online.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 28, 2016, 03:55:31 AM
But I assume that Nintendont don't have online support? (I think some GCN games had online gameplay, but not the mainstream ones) I know that Wii online capabilities are shut down but IIRC there are ways to continue playing online.
Nintendont can't go online, not natively, as far as I know. I think Project M made Online usable through Netplay.