Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, those. Juju will have to look into the bug then.

Mind reposting the bug rrport in the WalrusIRC thread?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE:

The PM notification was made less flashy, at the expense of people probably missing it again like before. THere were some complains about it being too flashy. We'll see how things go. You might need to clear cache or wait a while to see the changes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

"A while" being a whole year but in fact browser cache should expire faster than that due to size limits. Don't use disk cache anyway, it's slow. I have it disabled so restarting my browser is enough to clear cache.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 12, 2015, 03:02:38 PM
"A while" being a whole year but in fact browser cache should expire faster than that due to size limits. Don't use disk cache anyway, it's slow. I have it disabled so restarting my browser is enough to clear cache.
You really need to have it cache. It saves me a hell lot of data when I am on the go. But I could just resort back to the wap2 version. Somebody should make a theme for that one.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

Cache is enabled on the site. What I was saying is that the expiration time is set to a year for all static content, can't guarantee anything for external content that is embedded into posts though.
I have disk cache disabled in my browser for performance reasons, RAM cache builds up pretty fast and is much faster than disk cache. Since I have a lot of RAM I don't lose anything from that.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 12, 2015, 05:05:22 PM
Cache is enabled on the site. What I was saying is that the expiration time is set to a year for all static content, can't guarantee anything for external content that is embedded into posts though.
I have disk cache disabled in my browser for performance reasons, RAM cache builds up pretty fast and is much faster than disk cache. Since I have a lot of RAM I don't lose anything from that.
Me not either, though on my smartphone I have to pay so much for data usage that I like caching stuff.

Well I fell back to mostly using the WAP2 version of CW which is pretty small and quick.
It would be nice if it would be CW themed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I had plans to theme WAP2 at some point, if it usea any CSS. :)

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Most likely, but only as long as it doesn't involve directly modifying SMF source. That's bad for upgrades.

Hayleia

I have no idea where to post this so I'll do it here :P

When I write a post in the quick reply box, I then have to press "Post" under the box. But I always press the "Reply" button above it. Obviously, it doesn't produce the same result.
So would it be possible to make the "Post" button more visible, or the Reply button less visible (same color as its neighbours, not standing out as it is right now) ? Because yeah, it's logical that the "Post" one is the right one, but the "Reply" button is just a lot more tempting...
Or couldn't the "Reply" button lead to the same place as the "Preview" one ? This way, even people who don't think before clicking don't lose what they wrote.

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't realize this was an issue, because the distance in height between the Reply button compared to the Quick reply box is very large.

Or could there be an extra quick-reply button next to Reply that immediately go down in the page?

Hayleia

Yeah, I know the chances to click "Reply" are supposedly low, but I don't know, I blink after finishing my post then click on the most visible button or something. Even though yeah, the organization makes it clear the right one is "Post".
And an extra "quick-reply" button would kill that organization in my opinion.

Isn't it just possible to make the "Reply" button less standing out and the "Post" button more standing out ?
So that we see there are two important buttons instead of one super-important button.

Ephraim Becker

I know HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript pretty well. If I make a Codewalrus site from scratch then can you please put it on the server replacing this current site? I want to go for flat design and touch friendly.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

novenary

Not happening bro, do you have any idea how many hours were put into this site ? You can count that in weeks. And we can't afford migrating the db to another CMS. The site already features everything you mentioned.

Ephraim Becker

What I mean is only writing the client side parts from scratch. The server side parts i'll leave alone.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome