Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So now when you receive a new PM, it will show a big red bar with yellow text below the site banner, warning you that you got new PMs, which can be clicked to go to your inbox. If this is not visible enough, then I don't know what will. In the worst case scenario, I could just make the bar position fixed and fill the entire screen, blocking the forum view until they clicked the inbox link :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Yuki

Recieving a PM should be the most annoying experience ever so the sender makes sure you read it. Well not that much but still, it should be made clear you recieved one, and usually a something turning red should be enough.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Right now, by default you have the option to receive an email and pop up disabled by default. Not sure why SMF disables that by default, though. At least the red bar cannot be disabled, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE:

-Since this is the final week before opening, the board is slowly unveiling itself even more. Now instead of being entirely locked down it will show partial areas, such as an empty board index, a portal with no active topic/news list (there are extra blocks tho) and some other limited access.

Someone remind me before Jan 1st to unlock the following for guests:

-View memberlist and groups EDIT Dec 29th Done
-View user profiles EDIT Dec 29th Done
-View who's online EDIT Dec 29th Done
-View latest activity/recent posts blocks EDIT Dec 29th Done
-Unhide all sub-forums (except staff/thrash bin) from guests
-Remove the extra block visible for guests
-Replace the intro block with a short summary of the site. EDIT Dec 29th Done

pimathbrainiac

Okay I'm starting to get excited. I'll try and remind you before the 1st
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks :walrii: . I might not forget but since most options must be altered in different admin panels I might at least forget one or two.

Heck there could be other things I forgot since the very start that I don't remember.  <.< At least I know the portal works for guests, though.

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE!

Now when a new member joins and has his account activated, he will automatically receive the folliwng PM ^.^

QuoteHello, {$username},

Welcome to CodeWalrus forums, a community for fans of mobile, calculator (mostly TI-84 Plus, TI-Nspire and HP Prime) and computer programming, as well as hardware, retro gaming and art.

With a forum account, you can now participate to the forums. We encourage you to introduce yourself so that people know more about your hobbies or yourself. :) More features will be unlocked in your forum profile as you post more messages (such as the ability to setup an avatar, signature or to send private messages).

If you need help using the forum software, we have an help section available for you. We also have an about page with more information about CodeWalrus itself and you can review the rules at any time here. Should you need help on something missing from there or want to give feedback, feel free to post in the site discussion board. 

Otherwise, we welcome users of all levels who are willing to contribute to our forums and the community, so once you are set, head to the forum index or the Latest Activity section. :)

We also have a few games available for download, all of which are made by our users, and an IRC chat room called #CodeWalrus, where our members hang out, which can be reached from EFnet, Omninet, Freenode, using an IRC client of your choice or the website client called OmnomIRC.

We hope that you enjoy your stay!

The CodeWalrus Staff
http://codewalr.us/ :walrii:

Since e-mail notifications for PMs are disabled by default for new members, they will not get a duplicate welcome e-mail from this.

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way @Juju , have you moved YukiBot to Soru's server yet?

Also if somebody could type @DJ Omnimaga in his post it would be appreciated. I want to check if the mention mod is working.

EDIT: Nevermind. After creating a test account and giving it a postcount of 25, it seems to work.

Now it is possible to call/mention someone in a topic like on yAronet and Facebook: If you type, for example, @Streetwalrus , it will notify him via the site navigation. The Profile link will change to Profile [1] and there will be a new section called Mentions in there.

He can then choose to enable e-mail notifications for mentions, so that if someone needs him in a topic and uses this new feature, then he'll receive an e-mail.

This could be handy for when someone needs help from someone in particular or wants to report an important game bug.

Yuki

Oh hey @DJ Omnimaga ^_^

And nope, it's probably better YukiBot stays on localhost (that is, CW's server) for security reasons and so she can access the mysql server and listen for new posts directly easily.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok, but then which bot goes on Soru server?

The issue right now is that we have two bots on localhost and only one on Withg. We need three different connections (ideally two bots per connections via different EFnet servers for a total of 6) to keep the EFnet channel viable.

novenary

My server is ready to be deployed stuff onto, will go online tomorrow. Also, I just setup a cronjob to restart Omnom every night at 00:00.

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks a lot. Is it GMT or GMT-5? It's 5:51 PM, which probably means 10:51 PM GMT, meaning I'll have to check in 71 minutes to see if it works, right?

As for backup setup let me know when they are operational. Ideally we should have the ability to download copies as staff from somewhere, but at least what counts is that automatic backups are done, especially that there are only 4 days left before I lose most server access (I currently backup manually).

I added the Omnom disconnection issues to the todo list but I was running out of color ideas so yeah <_< (not that it will remain there for long, though, if the script works tonight)

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. I was unsure because while the server is set to that, the forum is set to some random African city. I originally set the site to Montreal time too but then another staff engaged into a timezone war. O.O

(That said the board is fine as it is, considering most members are from Europe. :P)

Dream of Omnimaga

Update: @Streetwalrus script to reconnect OmnomIRC did not launch last night. Did the backup cron job work?