Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Specific Chrome setup wanted

Started by Hayleia, October 23, 2016, 07:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

Well well, I have been a Firefox user for ages but really, the more updates it gets, the slower it becomes. And now it's so ridiculously slow that I only had to try Chrome (or Chromium actually, but whatever) for 5 minutes to be convinced that a switch wouldn't be a loss (for real, booting Firefox takes 5 seconds where Chrome needs 0, and closing Firefox takes 1 second where Chrome needs 0, and you've got the same speed difference while browsing...).

However, I was used to my Firefox setup, so I'd like to have something as close to it as possible, and would like to know if it is possible with Chrome, and if so, how.

So is there a way to have these requirements fullfilled ?

• No user history of any kind (I mean, I do not have a dropdown menu in "settings" that shows what I browsed, I do not have purple links where I already clicked, but obviously Chrome keeps an internal history so the "back" function still works)
  • Can re-open a tab after I closed it (mostly by mistake)

Well, I have other things that I'd want but these ones are the main ones :P

And it seems like the only way to fulfill the first one is to get in incognito mode, but for some reason it then makes the second one impossible (and don't tell me "of course, incognito doesn't remember your history so it's obvious that you can't re-open a tab" because if that was the case, the "back" button would do nothing). And the only extensions I found to get a "re-open" feature were ones that re-instated a public history so it's not what I want either...

Any ideas?

gameblabla

Quote from: Hayleia on October 23, 2016, 07:37:49 AM
No user history of any kind (I mean, I do not have a dropdown menu in "settings" that shows what I browsed, I do not have purple links where I already clicked, but obviously Chrome keeps an internal history so the "back" function still works)
I was using Opera for a while and i had the same issue.
Chrome does not even allow you to disable the history or clear it on exit lol. (big data very much)
In the end, the only workaround was to make my own extension.

Have a background.js file that looks like this :
chrome.browsingData.remove({ "since": 0 },
{
"appcache": true,
"cache": true,
"cookies": false,
"downloads": false,
"fileSystems": false,
"formData": false,
"history": true,
"indexedDB": false,
"localStorage": false,
"serverBoundCertificates": false,
"pluginData": false,
"passwords": false,
"webSQL": false
});
function onDeleteAll() {}
chrome.history.onVisited.addListener(function(result) {
chrome.history.deleteAll(onDeleteAll);
});

Then your a manifest.json file like this :
{
  "manifest_version": 2,

"name": "my_extension",
  "description": "onch onch i screw google really hard",
  "version": "1.0",
  "icons": {
          "128": "128.png" },
  "background": { "scripts": ["background.js"]},
  "permissions": ["tabs", "browsingData","privacy"],
  "browser_action": {
    "default_icon": "128.png",
    "default_title": "my_extension"
  }
}

Make sure to add an icon to it and then add it to Google Chrome.
(i know Opera can package it for you but i don't know if chrome can do that)

QuoteCan re-open a tab after I closed it (mostly by mistake)
???
(seriously i don't get it)

As for Firefox being really slow, you should try to install noscript, cookie controller and ublock origin on it.
Without them, i indeed find firefox very slow... but with those extensions, it's much more bearable.
You could also use Pale Moon (with its own lightweight ui).
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

novenary

You can just reopen a closed tab with ctrl+shift+t like in any browser. :P

Hayleia

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 23, 2016, 08:46:39 AM
You can just reopen a closed tab with ctrl+shift+t like in any browser. :P
I never said the contrary. I said that this requirement was fulfilled when not in incognito mode, but incognito mode is required to fulfill the other requirement.

@gameblabla, ok thanks, I'll check out how to make an extension and where to put these files (not today nor tomorrow though -.-) and see if it works :)

novenary

Oh indeed, I rarely use incognito mode, that's why I've never noticed. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gameblabla on October 23, 2016, 08:26:08 AM
Quote from: Hayleia on October 23, 2016, 07:37:49 AM
No user history of any kind (I mean, I do not have a dropdown menu in "settings" that shows what I browsed, I do not have purple links where I already clicked, but obviously Chrome keeps an internal history so the "back" function still works)
I was using Opera for a while and i had the same issue.
Erm actually Opera has history. Just click CTRL+H and you're set.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I thought the other way around, my bad
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

@gameblabla, I tried your extension and it didn't "fix" the purple link "problem". I mean, that for example, when googling stuff then clicking the first link then going back, the first link (who was blue before clicking) is now purple to indicate that I already clicked it (which I don't want) :(

aetios

I wonder if you can do that with a userstyle?
ceci n'est pas une signature

p2

If its only about the color then I can tell you I'mm 100% positive there was settings for the color of visited links at least for firefox (there it was in the about:config).
So there should be such color settings somewhere in chrome, too :)
just set the "visited links" to the same color as normal links ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

gameblabla

Quote from: Hayleia on October 25, 2016, 09:55:28 AM
@gameblabla, I tried your extension and it didn't "fix" the purple link "problem". I mean, that for example, when googling stuff then clicking the first link then going back, the first link (who was blue before clicking) is now purple to indicate that I already clicked it (which I don't want) :(
Yeah, unforunely it used to work but now it doesn't...
I need to change my script but it is really hard to understand the logic behind events....
I can make it work by having you click on the icon to remove the history tho.
It sucks.

It sucks monkey c
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Hayleia

Quote from: p2 on October 25, 2016, 12:53:42 PM
If its only about the color then I can tell you I'mm 100% positive there was settings for the color of visited links at least for firefox (there it was in the about:config).
So there should be such color settings somewhere in chrome, too :)
just set the "visited links" to the same color as normal links ^^
Well the logic "it's in Firefox so it should be in Chrome" doesn't work since the reason why I want that behaviour in Chrome is that I had it exactly in Firefox, and I can't replicate it in Chrome :P

And I really don't get why it doesn't allow me to re-open closed tabs in incognito. It makes 0 sense...

p2

incognito mode creates no history data at all. It's not like it deletes all data at the end of the session ;)
*Wouldn't be very much of incognito otherwise if you imagine your browser suddenly crashing before deleting the browser history... <_<

also I guess I can help you with that :)
Quote from: Stolen from some random forumC:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\User StyleSheets\Custom.css
Simply open the file with Notepad, and paste the following line of code:
A:visited { color: red ! important }
Save the file and you're done.
Keep in mind this is for custom styles, hence the name "Custom.css".  So if this is the first time you're modifying this file, it's normal for this file to be blank (no existing lines of code) when you first open it for editing.
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Hayleia

Quote from: p2 on October 25, 2016, 06:53:55 PM
incognito mode creates no history data at all. It's not like it deletes all data at the end of the session ;)
*Wouldn't be very much of incognito otherwise if you imagine your browser suddenly crashing before deleting the browser history... <_<
I see you haven't read my first post entirely :P
If it doesn't create any history data, how do you explain that when I click a link then press the back button, I am back to the page where I was before clicking the link?...

Quote from: p2 on October 25, 2016, 06:53:55 PM
also I guess I can help you with that :)
Quote from: Stolen from some random forumC:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\User StyleSheets\Custom.css
Simply open the file with Notepad, and paste the following line of code:
A:visited { color: red ! important }
Save the file and you're done.
Keep in mind this is for custom styles, hence the name "Custom.css".  So if this is the first time you're modifying this file, it's normal for this file to be blank (no existing lines of code) when you first open it for editing.
Lol at Windows paths, I'm on Linux :P

I'm pretty sure the easiest solution is to come back to Firefox -.-
I'd just have to find a way to keep it running in the background so that it doesn't take 5 seconds to boot.