Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What do you think of strange texts?

Started by lazydogP, December 03, 2016, 04:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazydogP

You know, Streetwalrus and aeTIos have a strange decoration around their nicknames. It's fun, yeah. I'm really interested in the technical explanation behind them.

I've seen some texts like this crash browsers, mobile apps and so on. One example is that you can make one character spreading through a web page, making it slow to scroll.

So what do you think about them?

Edit by p2: Just normalized the title.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS(used most often), Casio fx-9860GII SD, TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad, Casio fx-991CN X, Casio fx-82MS, HP 39GS(rarely used)
Need to buy more calculators.
Busy with study but trying to come here every day.

Yuki

Well, it's even more garbled on Windows XP, but it isn't that bad.

EDIT: WTF with the topic title o.o
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

lazydogP

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS(used most often), Casio fx-9860GII SD, TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad, Casio fx-991CN X, Casio fx-82MS, HP 39GS(rarely used)
Need to buy more calculators.
Busy with study but trying to come here every day.

Dream of Omnimaga

The weird text is definitively weird and I remember when people used it in OmnomIRC it lagged my browser. But I think issues were mostly on old devices or browsers.

As for the right-to-left mark, you can enable it on each SMF language packs. Hebrew has it enabled by default, for example, but we chose to disable it because it messed up the entire board layout.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Still kinda funny the last poster's name is in the middle of the title while it's reversed on WalrusIRC and on Twitter.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

WholeWheatBagels

Quote*   Walrified post by Juju on Re: What do you .?stxet egnarts fo kniht - http://codewalr.us/1748/48719

Guess it doesn't work in WalrusIRC.  :P

How does one make the funny text anyways? I've seen it around but have never figured out how they did it.
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Probably unicode characters. There are probably generators online somewhere.

Anyway, my favorite is mIRC ASCII art, but it can get you kicked from servers if all pasted at once and you definitively don't want to do this in a public channel. :P

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

the trick behind it is strange text symbols that have a letter width of 0px.
Noone really knows what they're actually ment to be used for..
but if you put 2 or 3 of them behind every letter of a regular text, you end up with something just like that.
To see them and use them yourself, just copy the text to Notepad++ (not notepad) and convert the text to HEX.
you can then see the text is much longer than it should be. that's because of the special characters in between.

But please do not use them in posts nor in IRC as they (as already written above) couse troubles with some browsers and also make the SEARCH field useless... :P
So please just act as if they would be prohibited from using.

* p2 pokes @Streetwalrus and @aeTIos to normalize their names again... <_<
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

JosJuice

Quote from: p2 on December 04, 2016, 12:11:48 PM
the trick behind it is strange text symbols that have a letter width of 0px.
Noone really knows what they're actually ment to be used for..
They're used for putting diacritics on letters, but normally you're only meant to use one or maybe two per letter, depending on the language. For instance, you can write é by first writing an e and then using a special combining ´ character. In case of é, it's very rarely done that way because there already is a pre-composed é character, but some languages use combinations of letters and diacritics that don't have any pre-composed characters in Unicode.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, Casio fx-CG10

p2

yeah I once sav a text where the guy used ` and ´ to add a littel M above  letters ^.^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, if you check SMF support site, select hebrew or arabic to see what Right to Left mode looks like in SMF.

xMarminq_

• Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if there is a generator with those characters that can actually make ASCII art out of 1 word, by uploading an image. For example, it could generate a :walrii: with just text and those chars.

This is the closest I could find, but I wonder if it's feasible in 1 line

͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜ ̷̷̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̴̴͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢  ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢
     ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̷̷̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿   ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜   ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̷̷̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿    ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜
     ̸̷̸̷̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜ ̷̷̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿    ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜      ̸̷̸̷̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜
   ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜ ̷̷̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜    ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜      ̸̷̸̷̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿  ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜ ̷̷̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿    ̸̷̸̷̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿
  ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̸̷̸̷̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜   ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜   ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̸̷̸̷̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̷̷̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿         ̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸
̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̿̿͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̴̴͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̸̷̸̷̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜                 ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜
̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸   ̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸     ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜                   ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜
̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸  ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̷̷̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸     ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜                   ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜
̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̿̿ ̸̷̸̷̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸    ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜ ̷̷̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿    ͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜           ̸̷̸̷̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜
̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸            ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜     ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜    ̿̿ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̿̿͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿
   ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿    ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̷̷̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜       ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜    ̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿ ̴̴̴͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢
   ̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͜͜ ̷̷̿̿ ̸̸̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿     ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̡̢̡̢̡̢͜͢͜͢͜͢ ̸̷̸̷̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͢͜͢͜͢͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̡̢̡̢̡̢̿̿͜͜͜͝͠͝͠͝͠ ̴̸̷̴̸̷̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿ ̴̸̴̸̴̸̿̿

p2

We only have Hebrew. Arabic languages aren't available on CodeW ^^
How much time did you put in creating this thing, dj?  :ninja: