Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How to test website on iOS legally without owning an Apple device?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 19, 2015, 02:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Some of you are probably aware that most iPad and iPhone browsers are absolute garbage when it comes to displaying websites properly and most of the time, even third-party alternatives such as Opera Mini won't do the job either. However, as developers who own an Android device, getting a website to show up properly on iOS devices can be a major nightmare if we don't own an iPhone, iPad or Mac computer we might not be willing to shell $300-700 for one just to make sure that @c4ooo , for example, can get WalrusIRC to work on iPad. Omnimaga had the same problem for 3 years (2011-14) with OmnomIRC box expanding forever in iOS Safari because no Omni staff owned an iPhone/iPad to fix the bug.

I have searched Google to see if there are Windows-compatible alternatives and found http://ipad-emulator.org/ and http://ipadpeek.com/ , but neither works (all URLs I try shows a blank page in Windows 7 Safari, Opera and Firefox) and all other options I found were from several years ago, often with broken links or they were Mac-only (and required to sign up as Apple Developer, which, I assume, also costs a lot of money that I might not be willing to spend).

So does anyone knows any free and legal solution?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

TIfanx1999

I'm not sure. I wonder how Safari for windows would render them? I assume there is a Safari for windows and that's what Iphones/Ipads use.

Dream of Omnimaga

The web rendering issues are only on iDevices it seems. I tried CodeWalrus on Windows Safari and the only problem I had is that the Search button is down by a few pixels. WalrusIRC worked fine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

TIfanx1999

Ah I see.:/ It seems there would have to be a solution for web developers to test stuff. If there isn't that's a fail on Apple's part.

Unicorn

I know that if you have a mac, you can use xcode, and its emu for free. SO maybe find out who has a mac around here and ask them to?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, I thought that XCode and its emulator required an paid Apple Developer license or membership in order to be installed? Also is the emulator guaranted to emulate iOS browsers exactly how they are on the real thing or are they just desktop browsers set to a smaller resolution with the user agent replaced to show mobile websites by default?

Snektron

This is why i don't like apple. It's either impossible or costs an industrial amount of money to develop for it, even something simple as a website. It's practically impossible for small hobby coders to make something for apple devices.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 19, 2015, 02:02:14 AM
even third-party alternatives such as Opera Mini won't do the job either.
Third party browsers aren't allowed to bring their own engine because of the stupid appstore rules. So they all use the system's web engine which sucks.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on August 19, 2015, 07:41:22 PM
This is why i don't like apple. It's either impossible or costs an industrial amount of money to develop for it, even something simple as a website. It's practically impossible for small hobby coders to make something for apple devices.
And the issue with that is that many people use iDevices to browse the web so us web developers who don't own such device have our hands tied by Apple. I bet Apple intentionally left in some browser compatibility issues just to convince web developers to buy their emulation tools.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on August 19, 2015, 07:43:39 PM
Third party browsers aren't allowed to bring their own engine because of the stupid appstore rules. So they all use the system's web engine which sucks.
I see, that might explain why even third-party browsers couldn't do the job.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 19, 2015, 10:11:53 PM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on August 19, 2015, 07:41:22 PM
And the issue with that is that many people use iDevices to browse the web so us web developers who don't own such device have our hands tied by Apple. I bet Apple intentionally left in some browser compatibility issues just to convince web developers to buy their emulation tools.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on August 19, 2015, 07:43:39 PM
I see, that might explain why even third-party browsers couldn't do the job.
I have an old iPod touch laying around if that helps.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait why did you quote my post without adding any new content or reply? O.O

Yuki

I have a Mac with Xcode, my school has the iPod simulator installed on their Macs, but I'm not sure if it's free. Gotta check it out.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 19, 2015, 11:36:49 PM
Wait why did you quote my post without adding any new content or reply? O.O
I managed to get my comment into a nested quote.
That's why you didn't saw it. I fixed it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

princetonlion.tibd

I think after you buy Xcode, the emulator doesn't have a web browser.

But last time I used xcode was around 5th grade
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)