Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

GB USB 64M flashcartridge

Started by Keoni29, December 14, 2014, 06:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keoni29

I recently bought this flash cartridge for my gameboy. You can put two GB/GBC games on it. It does not hold as many games as flash cards that use SD cards for storage, but it is definitely cheaper.

I use the second bank for LSDJ and the first one for whatever game I feel like playing. Right now I have Shantae on it. This game pushes the limits of the hardware, so it's a good stresstest for the cartridge. I have not noticed any slowdowns or glitches yet.
You can put games on it using a microusb cable. This can take a while. A 1MB game takes about half a minute to upload.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

Oh, nice. :D Once I finish paying off some of my tuition fee's, I'm planning on getting a GBA flash card. I've been looking up development tutorials for the GBA, and it really does seem pretty simple.

http://www.drunkencoders.com/tutorials/GBA/Table%20of%20Contents.html
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

novenary

I'm interested in the GBA as well. :D
Also apparently this cart has SRAM and a battery so I guess saves work.

Keoni29

Yes it holds saves, but there is just one save file. If you have 2 games on the cartridge that use the savefile the last game played will overwrite the file. You can back up savefiles to your computer though!

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I'm interested too by getting some flashcarts, for programming' or LSDJ fiddlin'.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: keoni29 on December 14, 2014, 10:55:38 PM
Yes it holds saves, but there is just one save file. If you have 2 games on the cartridge that use the savefile the last game played will overwrite the file. You can back up savefiles to your computer though!
Hm I probably won't get such thing then. The issue is that as a game collector, I prefer using genuine game cartridges and original hardware when I am playing on a real console, so if I am gonna be limited to 2 games only on a custom device rather than be able to load 100-200 games on a flash cart and use savestates, then I would rather buy a copy of the game I want or use an emulator. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Keoni29

I bought it for lsdj. This is a homebrew which is out of production, so the only way to use it is with a flashcart like this one. That's the only reason I got mine.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, I forgot that this one is out of production. X.x But if people plans to play Super Mario Land or Tetris on this then it's probably not the best option. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, the usefulness of a flashcard is often limited to play only the rare games or hombrews. Buying a cart for playing Mario or Pokémon seems a little overkill and overpriced.

EDIT : 200th post

Keoni29

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

And pretty epic. I couldn't believe that was on Gameboy Color the first time I checked about it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: keoni29 on December 15, 2014, 12:42:02 PM
Yeah Shantae is pretty rare :P

O.O Holy hell! http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Video-Games-/139973/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Shantae

It's even more expensive than Metal Warriors and Earthbound now :O

The only games I have that costs over $100 now are Demon's Crest (loose), Custer's Revenge (complete), Zelda Windwaker GC+Oot Bonus disc (same) and one that is extremely hard to find but not that expensive is FIFA 14 NTSC for the PS2.

DarkestEx

Nice, I have the same flash cartridge though its a bitch to flash games onto it, as the drivers are not signed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2