Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Dwarf Fortress : Meatboy, logs of a not-so-clever managerdwarf

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, December 03, 2014, 07:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Igrilärged, "Meatboy"
Hello everyone! I've been playin Dwarf Fortress for months, and I started making a let's play log, embdying the expedition leader. Follow us into the wonderful history of "Igrilärged", the "Meatboy" fortress! (Igrilärged means Meatboy in dwarfish)

Storyline
Part I
Part II

Screenshots (section WIP)
The embark
[close]
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

unknownloner

Awesome! I love dwarf fortress stories. Haven't gotten to actually reading it yet, but what thing I noticed is the imgur album works much better in the 'horizontal' layout (screenshots easier to see). May want to switch that to the default layout if you agree.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 03, 2014, 09:12:05 PM
Would this game be feasible on a calculator?
I don't think it would be feasible to recreate it with the level of detail it has. I know that it takes it's toll on all but the beefiest of computers once you've been playing for a bit and have a lot of dwarves running around. Honestly how detailed the game is is sort-of insane. Wars happen and some goblin's lower leg might get separated from the upper leg, and then both pieces end up scattered about the place.
A stripped down version of the game though I think would be doable.

Edit by Streetwalrus : merge double post

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait an ASCII art game that makes high-end computers lag? O.O (but again I know one 58 MHz platform that takes 1 minute to render 200 pixels).

Anyway I see now >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

unknownloner

Yeah, it even renders the text with OpenGL these days (which is why it's so easy now to replace the ASCII tileset with custom tilesets). Needless to say, most of the time is not spent rendering the screen these days.

/)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga link topic=72.msg1213#msg1213 date=1417659693
Wait an ASCII art game that makes high-end computers lag? O.O (but again I know one 58 MHz platform that takes 1 minute to render 200 pixels).

Anyway I see now >.<

Actually there a ncurses output for Linux but that's nitnthenreason for the lag. This game simulate a lot of things when playing, like dwarves's status, current job, their path, and so on... It also updates the whole world (you can just see a micro part when playing a Fortress) with its mass of entities or civilizations.

So no, you can't put this game on calc. It's freaking too heavy.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Hmmm nice that you're doing this, I should check out DF. :P

On a side note Loner, please avoid double posting unless it's a project update. I merged your posts.