Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Don't worry) DJ Omnimaga steps down from Codewalrus staff

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, July 15, 2016, 11:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

[spoiler=Rant]I have decided to step down from CodeWalrus staff, due to irrecoverable differences with Streetwalrus view of CW. When the site started, it was intended to make it a priority to keep hostility out of the chat and forums regardless of user status and that I would do anything to make it happen. Unfortunately I was betrayed and as a staff my hands have been tied since the beginning, just like on Omnimaga during my final year as admin. I have no power here and never did. So the site is now under their hands.[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

Not really. Neither on Omni but to a lesser extent. On Omni I had veto power, but I was a chicken about certain things

Anyway first post under review for tuesday. We'll discuss about possible staff structure changes and whether I can remain staff or not.

I can't do it sooner because I'm booked this weekend.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

After a mildly heated debate on the shoutbox, DJ and I had our Nth argument because we often disagree about how to handle drama, and he acted without consulting the entire staff first which is against our principles. I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable, but I think official permban threats are not something to be taken lightly and absolutely requires appropriate discussion before we come to such lengths.
Even though DJ has been considering leaving his staff position for a long time already, we've always been able to solve problems in a mature way and I hope to solve this new episode of drama as nicely as usual. He may or may not remain staff, but he will always be my friend regardless.

Quote from: garvalf on July 15, 2016, 04:42:05 PM
I thought you were the only boss here...
Well, while CW was originally DJ's idea, all of us Original 5 agreed on running the site on a "parliamentary" model. That means all staff members have to participate in decisions and that we will not push something out until we came up with an appropriate decision that satisfies us all. That is, unless there is some critical emergency that would imply tempbanning someone for their uncontrollable behavior until we can take a decision regarding them.
I do not believe we have reached such a point today. I also gave a friendly warning to request that the argument cool down a bit, and I have to apologize for being myself involved in said argument.

Anyway, be nice to DJ guys, he feels down in these situations and needs emotional support.

That's it for now, we will update you once we've sorted things out in private. :)

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

GalacticPirate

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Caleb Hansberry

I also don't want DJ to leave, I know he was an integral part of omnimaga and still left, but he's too important a part of this site too... I will continue trying to avoid politics on IRC too...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Dream of Omnimaga

I won't leave unless the administration/atmosphere turns into Omnimaga II if I step down. We'll see tuesday or so if I remain staff anyway, and I would at least like to be able to do some minimal work like newsing or managing boards. The Monthly project award would continue as long as I am still around since all I need to do is post a new poll then deliver a prize at the end of yhe year.

But yeah the issue is there is confusion between staff about what's the line at which something starts being considered an emergency thst requires immediate intervention or massive restructure and I wish people in the staff could understand more how Omni was ran back then.