Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Pixels permanently on -- TI-Nspire

Started by 123outerme, January 23, 2017, 08:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

I recently recieved a monochrome Nspire through the mail (although the package was wrapped up decently), and it arrived to me with some pixels already on, and strangely blue when the screen is on, yes black when off. I'll post a picture here:

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/GTPU2
I'll try taking a screenshot in the Student Software later, and see what that does.

Edit: Intersestingly enough, the Student Software screenshot doesn't show anything. Maybe that means the pixels are dead?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

At first, I was scared that you meant actual pixels are shown up as squares even when batteries are not in or are in, which could have implied a bricked calcs, but now that I see this I am happy that the calc works. It still sucks, though, since the seller stated something about some scratches rather than damaged pixels.

Sadly I doubt much can be done about it unless you are tech-savy enough to replace the LCD. It can still be used fine as is, since you will most likely test your softwares on the student software or via Firebird Emu. Otherwise, if you program directly on the calculator, then if you need to test if your HUD/UI works (eg Sorcery of Uvutu location/HP) then just offset it by a few pixels so it's away from the damaged area, then move it back in the damaged area once you are sure it displays properly.

I wonder if the seller could be contacted to see if you could get a bit of a discount, though? :P (even if not a lot)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

It could be that the LCD cells broke, the most likely way for that to happen is an impact though. Have you asked the seller about it yet?

kotu

i'd be amazed if you can't get a refund for this... dont know too much about ebay though

dead (or always on) aren't that uncommon, because LCD screens aren't actually that easy to make, so with laptops etc, it is ok to supply them with 1 or 2 dead pixels, and that is within spec

never seen anything as bad as this though
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

novenary

I'm not talking about a refund, it's just to know whether it was sent that way.

p2

I got a baaad baad feeling about this...
when the pixels shuld be white (0 power), they're black (power=1)
when they should be black, they're blue (power=2 == too much)
and blue is a sign youre frying the pixel and it's actually dying

to me it looks like there is a power line where there should be none... like these pixels get extra energy they're not ment ot get...
try NEVER to run a program that will cause blue pixels fullscreen, I'm certain this would finish your pixels instantly..
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, personally I doubt a refund is possible since it mentioned something about scratches, but a partial refund could be possible since it did not mention anything about pixel damage, unless it's the shipping carrier's fault.

Also I think his blue pixels show up even when the calc is turned OFF with all batteries removed @p2

By the way @123outerme did your calc come with a  student software license? If not then you'll have to rely on Firebird Emu.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: p2 on January 24, 2017, 03:14:34 PM
I got a baaad baad feeling about this...
when the pixels shuld be white (0 power), they're black (power=1)
when they should be black, they're blue (power=2 == too much)
and blue is a sign youre frying the pixel and it's actually dying

to me it looks like there is a power line where there should be none... like these pixels get extra energy they're not ment ot get...
try NEVER to run a program that will cause blue pixels fullscreen, I'm certain this would finish your pixels instantly..
What do you mean a program that will cause blue pixels? As far as I'm aware that might be impossible (unless someone uses ASM, but I don't think oversupplying power is a common monochrome ASM practice)
Also yeah, I think that either the pixels are burned into the screen, something, likely during shipping (even though the slide cover was over the screen), burst the LCD cells (although I wasn't sure of the terminology until Street said it), or there's a short somewhere which supplies power from something that's always on to the LCD. That + the LCD being turned on would likely produce a blue pixel.

Quote from: kotu on January 24, 2017, 02:36:50 PM
i'd be amazed if you can't get a refund for this... dont know too much about ebay though

dead (or always on) aren't that uncommon, because LCD screens aren't actually that easy to make, so with laptops etc, it is ok to supply them with 1 or 2 dead pixels, and that is within spec

never seen anything as bad as this though
I can actually ask for an exchange, so I will likely do that soon. I can also purchase another refurbished Nspire and send it back to them when I get it in, then they'll refund the purchase, so I can still be programming with it while it's being shipped.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2017, 06:27:51 AM
At first, I was scared that you meant actual pixels are shown up as squares even when batteries are not in or are in, which could have implied a bricked calcs, but now that I see this I am happy that the calc works. It still sucks, though, since the seller stated something about some scratches rather than damaged pixels.

Sadly I doubt much can be done about it unless you are tech-savy enough to replace the LCD. It can still be used fine as is, since you will most likely test your softwares on the student software or via Firebird Emu. Otherwise, if you program directly on the calculator, then if you need to test if your HUD/UI works (eg Sorcery of Uvutu location/HP) then just offset it by a few pixels so it's away from the damaged area, then move it back in the damaged area once you are sure it displays properly.

I wonder if the seller could be contacted to see if you could get a bit of a discount, though? :P (even if not a lot)
Yeah, the seller mentioned that there were MINOR scratches of some sort (the actual quote is " Used Item's may have scratches on body, missing feet, small marks on screen." from here)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2017, 07:49:57 PM
Yeah, personally I doubt a refund is possible since it mentioned something about scratches, but a partial refund could be possible since it did not mention anything about pixel damage, unless it's the shipping carrier's fault.

Also I think his blue pixels show up even when the calc is turned OFF with all batteries removed @p2

By the way @123outerme did your calc come with a  student software license? If not then you'll have to rely on Firebird Emu.
I believe I can do an exchange, I'll contact them as soon ebay fixes the Contact Us pages not working <_<
And They appear black when the calc is off, blue when its on, regardless of whether or not that area of the screen's pixels are any color of gray/black.
It also appear to have not come with a student software license, but that's okay, I've already downloaded Firebird. I just have to dump the ROM.

Dream of Omnimaga

I think by overpowering the LCD with code he was refering to test mode on the TI-83 Plus series, which causes the entire screen (or horizontal lines) to literally turn blue.

Also if the calc cover was on, I doubt the damage was caused during shipping. It probably happened before while the cover wasn't on.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2017, 08:24:29 PM
I think by overpowering the LCD with code he was refering to test mode on the TI-83 Plus series, which causes the entire screen (or horizontal lines) to literally turn blue.

Also if the calc cover was on, I doubt the damage was caused during shipping. It probably happened before while the cover wasn't on.
Ok, thanks DJ. Also yep, will definitely avoid test mode.

novenary

It's a special mode that you can only trigger intentionally and it's specific to the 83+ series LCD controller. Nothing to worry about on the Nspire.

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, I once had a broken dot matrix display basic calculator and broke the screen, and I recall one half of the broken screen became black with the display being lighter. That was kinda weird. Juju also got a TI-83+ with a broken screen like above but the broken part isn't blue (it definitively shows that an impact occured, though)

123outerme

Update: It seems to have been temporary damage, fortunately! Look at the two side-by-side:'

It, very clearly, is nearly gone now!

Dream of Omnimaga

I suspect that the calc suffered an impact during shipping

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 12, 2017, 06:44:51 PM
I suspect that the calc suffered an impact during shipping
It likely did. And thankfully, the pixels aren't dead, I can see pixels on where the damage used to be, although you can't see that in the newer photo (since the cursor was off in its blinking phase)