Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Alien Breed 5 Episode III: Impact

Started by JamesV, December 21, 2015, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Ok so for the time being, I'm going to stick with 8x8 scaled x3, because I want to use 256 colours & also it will likely be easier to work with.

I've updated the 8x8 sprite version by adding in some more colour texture and implementing clipping and VRAM flipping.

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

aetios

What is going on with those yellow pixels? Looking good otherwise!
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

Quote from: aeTIos on March 05, 2016, 02:21:58 PM
What is going on with those yellow pixels? Looking good otherwise!
They are little artifacts caused by a glitch in CEmu's GIF recording. I'm sure that they don't show up on-calc.
Then again, @JamesV hasn't given out any test builds as far as I know...  ;)
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks awesome. Also if you need extra color sprites, then I think I still have some .
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

I haven't done any further work on this over the last 5 days, but you can download a copy of the latest scrolling test shown above if you want to see what it looks like on a calculator :)

Ab5Test Download

Dudeman313

It looks beautiful! But when you scroll up & down sometimes, you see a ripple/ocean wave come from a diagonal center line (top-left to bottom-right). It can be see at anytime, but it's most noticeable when moving up&down.  I also like the 8-directioness. :P
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I tried it and it's very smooth. Is that the maximum speed? I am curious about how fast it will run with enemies, bullets and other stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 07, 2016, 09:15:34 PM
It looks beautiful! But when you scroll up & down sometimes, you see a ripple/ocean wave come from a diagonal center line (top-left to bottom-right). It can be see at anytime, but it's most noticeable when moving up&down.  I also like the 8-directioness. :P
Yeah that ripple is just an LCD refresh effect, due to the LCD being pushed to its limits speed-wise. I'm hoping that once the game is fully functioning with other sprites, etc. moving around that it will be less noticeable as the tiled background won't necessarily be scrolling non-stop all the time.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 08, 2016, 12:27:28 AM
I tried it and it's very smooth. Is that the maximum speed? I am curious about how fast it will run with enemies, bullets and other stuff.
That is the maximum frame rate when using the vram flipping, as it needs to wait for the LCD interrupt before vram can be flipped. The good news is that drawing other sprites, etc. shouldn't slow it down, as they'll still get done before the interrupt clears. Of course, I can't guarantee that until I get it all working, but I'm confident that it will be fine based on the number of various tests I've been performing. I should point out as well that this is still running slightly faster than the non-colour version on the 83+/84+ calculators, but it's in colour! :)

Dream of Omnimaga

That's good to hear. I was a bit worried that adding more sprites would cause massive slowdowns, especially if there is a busy level or boss fight.

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 08, 2016, 12:58:03 AM
That's good to hear. I was a bit worried that adding more sprites would cause massive slowdowns, especially if there is a busy level or boss fight.
I should find out in the next week or so. I've begun work on integrating the new colour engine into the main game but it will take me a little bit to clear up all the compile errors and then bug test to get it running smoothly. It should look nice though - 18 years ago when I started work on my first Alien Breed game in BASIC for the TI-83, I never dreamed I'd eventually be working on a colour version :P

Dudeman313

Quote from: JamesV on March 08, 2016, 01:31:37 AM
I should find out in the next week or so. I've begun work on integrating the new colour engine into the main game but it will take me a little bit to clear up all the compile errors and then bug test to get it running smoothly. It should look nice though - 18 years ago when I started work on my first Alien Breed game in BASIC for the TI-83, I never dreamed I'd eventually be working on a colour version :P
Yay! Implementations! :P
Well, now your not-dreams are coming true! Hooray for colour!
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JamesV on March 08, 2016, 01:31:37 AM
Yeah I thought you would never code new games again after 2002 since you left at the same time as Sam Heald, Harper Maddox and others, but then you released Banchor and years later you started working on AB5 and I was happy.

By the way, do you still use IRC? Because all major forums have an IRC channel, such as #codewalrus, #cemetech and #omnimaga (all on EFnet).

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 10, 2016, 09:04:58 PMYeah I thought you would never code new games again after 2002 since you left at the same time as Sam Heald, Harper Maddox and others, but then you released Banchor and years later you started working on AB5 and I was happy.

By the way, do you still use IRC? Because all major forums have an IRC channel, such as #codewalrus, #cemetech and #omnimaga (all on EFnet).
Heh nah, the TI scene can't get rid of me :P

Occasionally, but not that often