Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[UPDATE!] TI-83 Premium CE announced with video suggesting possible faster speed

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 16, 2015, 02:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

After TI in America announced the TI-84 Plus CE color calculator, TI France now announces the TI-83 Premium CE!

http://education.ti.com/fr/france/products/calculatrices-graphiques/ti-83-premium-ce/tabs/overview

As you will notice in the link above, the calculator design is very similar to the TI-84 Plus CE. However, the keyboard layout is different, with some features from the TI-Collège Plus being available. In addition to that, the APPS key was moved elsewhere on the French model. Also, good news for people who worried that the calculator would be locked down: According to Critor and TI's application page, it looks like it will support applications as well as the Asm() command.

One important feature, however, for math users, is the availability of CAS-like features, such as exact mode. It is unknown if that feature is specific to the French model or available on the 84+CE too. In addition to that, the French model keeps the exam mode from its North-American counterpart, an indication that France school system is soon going to start using teacher mode like in US schools.

Also, a video of the TI-83PCE in action in a classroom is available on Youtube:

As good as the math features showcased in this video are, I would like to direct your attention to something in particular:  Go to 1:34 in the video, where the student enters an equation in the Y= editor then graph the equation, and notice how fast the screen appears to refresh. Although it doesn't look instant, it still seems much faster than the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition from 2013, which would definitively confirm rumors that the TI-84+CE and TI-83PCE are definitively faster. If that is the case, then this should hopefully address the issues that students had when entering math problems on the home screen in MathPrint mode, Y= equations or when using the program editor. We will have to confirm when someone has the chance to test those parts of the calculator in person, though.

TI-Connect CE was also revealed, and it now features a program editor, a feature that was also available in TI-Connect 1.5 but removed in 1.6. The interface also changed and is now slightly reminiscent of the HP Prime Connectivity kit.

Source: http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15882 and http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11114

UPDATE (January 17th 2015): Critor has managed to get his hands on a prototype yesterday and has published a full review, with tests, on TI-Planet. It turns out that Texas Instruments has finally listened to the people who complained about the slow typing and screen refresh speed witnessed at school on the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. Instead of a 15 MHz Z80, the TI-84 Plus CE has an ez80 processor! If you check the video posted by critor, you can see that the calculator is between 1.7 and 3 times faster depending of the operation.

Also, something new on this calculator is that language localization apps no longer appear in the APPS menu. Now you change the language in the MODE screen. Also, when navigating the MEM manager, if you move the cursor on a Flash APP, the version and copyright of that APP will appear in the status bar at the top of the screen.

Source of updated info:  http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15885&p=175934#p175934[/b]
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. I wonder if half res and hardware scrolling are still supported? Lots of ASM and xlib games use it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

And now, a full test of a TI-83 Premium CE DVT prototype with many pictures and even a video :
http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175931#p175931

Discover the speed, the PCB, the new ASIC, the CPU... everything you've wondered about ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh awesome. I'll definitively need to check this out more in depth later when I have extra free time. :)

For now, I skipped immediately to processor and was amazed: Finally, TI listened to us and their many customers who complained at the Z80 being totally inadequate for a color screen this large: They switched to ez80! *.*

I'll probably edit the news post with the link and video, as well as the main important info. I wonder if ASM programs will still run or if the ASM language is entirely different? The extra speed increase doesn't seem too bad at least. BASIC will most likely still be slow like it ever has been, but at least it's much better than the CSE. :)

Most importantly, though, typing text is much faster. Just the slow typing would have annoyed me in class if I had to use such calc.

Critor, have you gotten the chance to try if the 160x240 resolution and hardware scrolling used in both my xLIBC Tunnel, AssemblyBandit's, as well as  Flappy Bird, still works?

EDIT: Updated 1st post with new info (and its source).

Snektron

eZ80?omfg, me wants, but me also wants an ara, so me have to choose q.q
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

TheMachine02

the z80 and the ez80 is almost 100% compatible, ASM language is pretty much the same, except that there is much mcuh powerful command ( yes "mlt" I am looking at you :p ), and this is the nice thing. ASM program could be easly be ported  :D

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. I was worried that since it was a different CPU name that it might have various differences and IIRC Premium apps won't install on a CSE and vice-versa.

Keoni29

I am especially looking forward to running tiboy on this if it is compatible :D
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

aetios

Oh wow, this is awesome. This is the calculator everyone hoped the CSE to be.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

That said, for $129.99 it still misses one GHz or two and a GB of RAM. :P

Snektron

Also: did anyone notice the length of the 2nd video? :crazy:
so close... sometimes is even IS :O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

critor

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 17, 2015, 03:56:10 AM
Critor, have you gotten the chance to try if the 160x240 resolution and hardware scrolling used in both my xLIBC Tunnel, AssemblyBandit's, as well as  Flappy Bird, still works?

Even if the eZ80 does support z80 asm, this doesn't mean that the files don't have to be rebuilt.

Remember that TI-83+/84+ asm files didn't work on the TI-84+CSE.

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed, and same for 82 Stats <> 83+. Plus memory addresses will most likely be different.

T.Wang

I take french I at my high school, but I have very little idea what the teacher is saying in the first video. Looking forward to when the vid has English subtitles :)
Animated Codewalrus sig coming soon!