Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zenonia 4 for the TI-84 plus cse

Started by epicdud218, November 08, 2015, 09:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epicdud218

Hey everyone

I'm starting to make my first rpg and I need help making it. Do note that I'm not the best TI programmer so yea.
If anybody needs I'll seed you the 3 programs and the corresponding code along with it. ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 plus C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus
Here to make everyone's day a little bit better or A little bit worse ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya and welcome to the forums. :) You should introduce yourself in http://codewalr.us/32 :walrii:

As for making an RPG, keep in mind that those end up being very large, so if it's your first experience in programming, then you might want to keep the dungeon size and the amount to a minimum, same for magic and items (or you could perhaps even scrap items for the beginning), to allow you to start small before you get more experience. Do you have any preview of your game so far, such as screenshots? Also it would be nice if we knew more details about what will be in the game and the ideas that you got so far. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

epicdud218

Alrighty, but as I said I'm not the best programmer in the world but I got the start of it

----------

for anyone who is interested in the game here is the code:
Program:ZENONIA               //intro to the game
::DCS
:"hexadecimal is all fives :v
:Clrhome
:Disp "(4 spaces) Zenonia remastered (4 spaces)"
:Disp "(8 spaces) For calcs (4 spaces)"
:Disp "(space)"
:Disp "(6 spaces) By: epicdud218(6 spaces)"                   // lots of spaces :v
:Pause
:Clrhome
:Menu("Zenonia","New Game",R,"Continue",O
:Lbl O
:prgmSAVEZE                    //saving feature(cause why not :3)
:Lbl R
:prgmZENOGAME                  //the actual game

Program:SAVEZE                 //again saving feature
::DCS              //not sure how to make saving feature

Program:ZENOGAME                 //again, actual game
::DCS
:Disp "Long ago, a tyrant
:Disp "Named Shaturu Plunged the
:Disp "World into darkness and
:Disp "His army arose
:Pause
:Disp "Only you can stop               //the most common start to an rpg :3
:Disp "Him great warrior

welp that's all, inform me for any unnecessary lines of code also it would be awesome if anyone add on to my idea. (the story is going to be very related to zenonia 4 as well as the items, and in this game the bosses should be nerfed.(to make it better and fun ;) ))

----------

A mistake for ZENOGAME is the first command should be Clrhome but keep all of the display commands.
I also have to add in the variables for the health and levels for you the bosses and enemy and how much your xp you need for the next levels etc.  <_<

----------

Ok but currently I am coding on my game and deciding what to do next. Since I'm a newbie at this it might be a mix of text,turn based and dungeon crawler... If thats even possible.

----------

Noted and did it  :)

Edit (Streetwalrus): merged quad post.

Dream of Omnimaga

Could you maybe upload the 8xp files in one of your posts, so it would be easier to test? It doesn't look like you have much of the engine done, though, unless it's menu-based. Do you know how to make a map/movement engine?

Also just two things: As per forum netiquette, we advise against double, triple or quadruple-posting within such short time frame. You should use the Modity button to edit your last post. Also I have moved your topic in the right section. :)

EDIT: @epicdud218 In case you are new to forums and don't know what double/multi-posting is, it's when you post multiple times in succession before anyone replies, which is fine after around 24 hours, though. But once someone else replied you can reply again instead of editing your previous post, so people can see your reply easier.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Welcome to the forums! I am interested to see what you've got in store. Like DJ said, screenshots really sell your projects, if you can get them. You can take a picture of your calculator, or you can use Wabbitemu if you have a computer. But you'll have to download rom8x, which is a tool to extract your calculator's ROM image. It's worth it in the end, however.

Speaking of tools, TI-Connect, which links with your calcuator, and TokenIDE, which allows you to create and edit TI-Basic programs, are essential if you're on a computer. If you want a strictly online version of Wabbitemu and TokenIDE, try cemetech.net 's jsTIfied and SourceCoder 3.

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on topic.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

epicdud218

Thx I will put up some pictures once I finish a few things in my game... Any chance you know how to create a battle scene, room, saving, and chance encounters with enemies.(btw no clue how to make those :v) I also don't think I'll put up the game till its done, because people might flood me with requests. :thumbsup:

Araidia

Quote from: epicdud218 on November 10, 2015, 01:16:42 AM
Thx I will put up some pictures once I finish a few things in my game... Any chance you know how to create a battle scene, room, saving, and chance encounters with enemies.(btw no clue how to make those :v) I also don't think I'll put up the game till its done, because people might flood me with requests. :thumbsup:
It would be better to release the game as you make it because people might find bugs that you don't find.
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

To be honest, if you don't know how to draw stuff on the screen, let alone use the RandInt() or Rand command, then it might be better that you do some extra TI-BASIC learning before working on this project or any other project this big. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you work on an RPG or another large calculator game without minimal TI-BASIC knowledge, you'll be overwhelmed and even if you succeed then you'll still have to rewrite your code over and over due to disparate quality between old and new code preventing things from being integrated into each others. Having to spend 90% of your time trying to figure out what a command does in the middle of game development is definitively not fun and the game quality suffers. A good start would be TI-Basic Developer wiki http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/ . Also, this new getting started tutorial by TI can teach you the basics, although the quality won't allow you to learn the best tricks: https://education.ti.com/en/us/solutions/ti-codes . Kerm's book can also help if you are willing to spend a few dollars. Else, if you need extra advice on using specific TI-BASIC commands or debugging code, feel free to start a topic on CodeWalrus and people will be happy to help. :)

Once you got used to the essential basic commands, experiment with small programs that don't do much. For example, once you learned how to use conditionals, loops and probability commands, then perhaps you could try doing a loop where the character and enemy does a random amount of damage to each others back and forth. Then add a conditional in the loop that detects when the enemy or character reaches 0 HP. Also have those values displayed on the screen. Once you are done, you can then add a menu to select commands.

Also, for such large project, you need to write down all the variables and list elements you will use in Notepad or a sheet of paper and what will they be used for. You should also plan the story event chronology (not necessarily in details) and names, but for now concentrate on getting to know the language you're gonna program the game in more to avoid hitting a wall.

p4nix

DJO said an important thing - nevertheless, to encourage you again:
Game programming - especially on a calc - is not THAT hard once you got used to programming (says the one who hasn't finished any project yet). Algorithms aren't that fancy and you will probably use the sames again and again. A tile-engine with collision always stays a tile-engine. So just play around with TI-Basic - maybe make little programs which are related to your big plan - and once you know everything you have to know and once you feel really ready - start it! I guess everyone is interested in such a game here. And everyone wants a new calculator programmer to be born :P
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Note: My first game ever was an RPG, but there is only 1 dungeon, no village and 3 battle moves (attack, 1 unnamed magic spell and potion), and no leveling up system :P

epicdud218

thx for the support guys I do know the tip of the iceberg with randInt() and rand (pretty sure they have an rng system for numbers listed in). As Dj was saying
about writing down the variables, I decided to do that cause I forgot what they all did :3. I do sort of have an idea for loops, conditionals, and im good with
working with menus (the main menu has a dungeon, stats, hotel, and shop, these are all accessible. although I might need help on the dungeon spawning system).

c4ooo

My first game that i made 100% alone was either a pong game, or a game where you can run around and get chased by letters on the screen. One time early on i tryed to make a text based rpg, but after two weeks i lost it in a ram clear. This was long before i released my first game. But, tbh, at that point i already had some java knowlage, so it was the amount of work - not the work itself that really held me back.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: epicdud218 on November 11, 2015, 05:47:36 AM
thx for the support guys I do know the tip of the iceberg with randInt() and rand (pretty sure they have an rng system for numbers listed in). As Dj was saying
about writing down the variables, I decided to do that cause I forgot what they all did :3. I do sort of have an idea for loops, conditionals, and im good with
working with menus (the main menu has a dungeon, stats, hotel, and shop, these are all accessible. although I might need help on the dungeon spawning system).

RandInt can be used for random encounters or to set the encounter rate. For example, when you load a new dungeon, if you do RandInt(30,50)->R then decrement that value every loop iteration, then in 30-50 steps you'll run into an enemy. Once the battle is over, you use RandInt(30,50)->R again. It can be another variable. The other approach is to run RandInt(0,50) every loop and if it's equal to zero then a battle occurs, but that is much slower and you can end up running into enemies two steps in a row, which can annoy the player.

Any luck so far @epicdud218 ?

alexgt

Looks like a great start, I do agree with DJ, c4ooo, and p4nix. But this is kinda how I started out, I tried to make a zelda clone for my first game (I never got complete). But after about a month I was 150% proficient with basic so just experiment and don't give up ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Don't give up when experimenting is a key word here. I've learned doing engines by building small things at a time and testing them separately. It was easier than doing everything at once. The only downside is that at first you will often find yourself having to redo everything from scratch if you do that, so try to plan which variables and list you want to use first. Hopefully you haven't given up yet and keep us updated about your progress. You can also make a new topic if you have more questions. :)