Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

A new RPG for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 17, 2017, 04:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

For the last few years, @123outerme has developed various pure and hybrid TI-BASIC calculator games for the TI-83 Plus and later the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. Among those, there were many games with various role-playing game elements. Source Seekers, Solius and Dragonsglid were some of his most prominent titles around that genre. While simple in general, they still managed to provide a lot of entertainment while they lasted. Today, the author has released another RPG, this time using xLIBC, called Sorcery of Uvutu, for the TI-84+CSE!

Initially developed as a direct sequel or remake of Dragonsglid, Sorcery of Uvutu later evolved into a full game of its own (although still tied to the Dragonsglid and Source Seekers universe), using nice-looking graphics, sprites, tilemaps and featuring even more elements from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and proving once more that such game is feasible within the limitations of the 21.7 KB of user RAM on this calculator. While the story is simple and the game relatively short (about two hours of gameplay), the world to explore is still quite large per calculator RPG standards and the game should be simple to get into. In addition to that, calculator RPG projects usually tend to never get close to finished, so props to the author for making this game one of the exceptions.

A welcome addition to this calculator RPG library!

Download link: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=778.0
Discussion sub-forum: https://codewalr.us/index.php?board=42
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

123outerme

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to have finally finished it, and that it's getting positive feedback! And thank you got the news article, I really appreciate the kind words!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, is there a list of all the attack moves somewhere and what are their attributes (extra damage or element)?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 17, 2017, 05:01:16 PM
By the way, is there a list of all the attack moves somewhere and what are their attributes (extra damage or element)?
Yes there is, actually. In the subforum, there's a post called Sorcery of Uvutu Statistics, which as of right now, only has the list of attack moves and the element.

the topic: PLEASE CLICK ME

Edit by p2: added link

SiphonicSugar

Hey 123outerme, when do you plan on working on your next RPG? Is there going to be a second one of these? Great work by the way, I really hope that you continue releasing amazing works.  :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

123outerme

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on January 17, 2017, 09:52:58 PM
Hey 123outerme, when do you plan on working on your next RPG? Is there going to be a second one of these? Great work by the way, I really hope that you continue releasing amazing works.  :P
I'm tossing ideas around right now, thinking of another project to start. I may make another one of these, but if I do, I'm gonna improve on a lot of engine stuff. Thanks so much!

tr1p1ea

Awesome work 123outerme!

Best calc RPG in years imo. A great addition to the collection :).

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: tr1p1ea on January 18, 2017, 03:31:53 AM
What about Reuben Quest 3? O.O Just kidding lol. Both games are fun and for different calcs anyway. As I said before, I still need to replay Sorcery of Uvutu since I missed some things my first time around. I should maybe also try to do a video of the first world.

p2

it's impossible to really compare them as they are for entire different gameboys calculators.
But I agree we got the best games since a long time with those two ^.^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

123outerme

Awesome work 123outerme!

Thanks tr1p! It really means a lot coming from you!
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 18, 2017, 07:57:00 AM
What about Reuben Quest 3? O.O Just kidding lol. Both games are fun and for different calcs anyway. As I said before, I still need to replay Sorcery of Uvutu since I missed some things my first time around. I should maybe also try to do a video of the first world.
If I had a monochrome calc, I'd tell you it was amazing. I've seen the screenshots so I'm 100% sure it is, but I've never played it.
Quote from: p2 on January 18, 2017, 08:00:59 AM
it's impossible to really compare them as they are for entire different gameboys calculators.
But I agree we got the best games since a long time with those two ^.^
Thanks! Like I said, feedback is much appreciated!