Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Audio-Video player you'd recommend on PC ?

Started by Hayleia, October 23, 2015, 04:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

So yeah, I tried some music and video players here and there, but none was completely satisfying.

Features I want:

• At least run on Windows. Bonus if Linux too. Bonus if OS X too.
  • Do not intercept Windows's volume control
  • Play all common formats (mp3, ogg, flac, wav, mp4, avi, wmv, ...)
  • Obviously display the image if that's a video
  • Do not reduce speed for some reason because I won't notice the difference of tempo but I'll notice if notes are too high or too low
  • Clear all kind of history when you leave
  • Have the ability to play in the background, when all windows are closed, and with a notification icon in the tray
  • Allow me to put a file at the end of the "to play" list if something is already playing but also have the ability to play two files at once when I double click a file in my explorer

Examples of players I tried:

• VLC, it had all the features except the 2nd and 5th ones. Yes, it does change speed when you play. Maybe just 101% and 99% but I notice it.
  • MPV, it didn't support the last two wanted features
  • Clementine, it had everything except that it didn't clear history (and there is no option to automaticaly clear it, or it is well hidden) and it doesn't play videos

So, anything you'd recommend (and I didn't specify but it's obviously better if it's free) ?

edit
Seems like GOM Player does what I need. The only problem is that you can't untick the "make Yahoo the default page and search engine for all installed browsers" -.-

Yuki

GOM Player is what my friend uses to play anime, it works kinda well. The Yahoo as default page option sucks, though. Otherwise, did you tried MPC?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Hayleia

I just tried it, and indeed, it seems to fulfill all the requirements too ^^
I'll see which one I choose between both (because I like how MPC is open-source without ads and stuff, but I also like GOM's skins which allow to skin everything, not just change the look of buttons).

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, there's a codec pack named after Soviet Union? O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Pretty much, yes.

(Speaking of which it comes with MPC.)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Hayleia

Lol, WMP :P
I actually didn't try it again before making this thread, but from what I remembered, it lacked some features I requested. And I launched it again just now and nothing seems to have changed since last time I used it -.-
So nope :P

gameblabla

I would recommend just to use two distinct software for audio and video purpose.

For audio, i would recommend Audacious.
It supports lots of formats (including Sega Genesis's VGM files and more) and i like the user interface too.
I have no complain about it, just make sure to use the latest version though.
It has ports for Linux, Mac and Windows.

For video, just stick with VLC.
If you have a linux distro, you could try Gnome-Mplayer i guess.
If you are looking for a lightweight alternative then look no further than ffplay, packaged with ffmpeg.
It has no user interface but you can associate video files with it and it will play them.

EDIT: Ah crap, just realised that it may not meet all of your expections...
I still suggest you to give Audacious a try, though.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Hayleia

Quote from: gameblabla on October 25, 2015, 06:05:44 PM
I would recommend just to use two distinct software for audio and video purpose.
I would do this if it wasn't annoying, but I actually have a lot of music in video format on my hard drive. Don't ask why, I don't know. So I can't make the distinction between audio and video (except if I convert them all but that's what I meant by "annoying" (yes, just a simple script, etc, still)).

novenary

mpv does actually have at least the last feature, but you need to write some scripts for that.You can also run it in the background if you use it from the command line (again, requires configuration and scripting). It surpasses VLC by far in terms of video performance as well (confirmed on a friend's laptop, mpv plays most content smoothly while VLC chokes on it, and it's not a hardware decoding issue). It's my main video player and I love it. I don't really recommend it as a music player though, because it requires too much scripting for that.
For music I use mpd, not sure how hard it is to get running on Windows. I think there's a way to clear that playlist automatically. It meets your requirements as a music player though as it's a background process by design and it's playlist-based. You can also use custom scripts, GUIs, etc with it (it comes with no interface other than the API).

gameblabla

Quote from: Hayleia on October 25, 2015, 07:47:34 PM
I would do this if it wasn't annoying, but I actually have a lot of music in video format on my hard drive. Don't ask why, I don't know.
It's not a problem, i have the same issue as you and Audacious also plays video formats as music.
You can too make playlist of video and music files and Audacious will play them, there just won't be any video output for video files.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

novenary

Seems to be fine in mpd as well. I just tried it with an mkv file.

Hayleia

Oh yeah, of course they do, but my sentence was not complete -.-
So yeah, what I said, but I also have real video files that I would like to read as videos (with video output). And I'd rather not have to do a right-click→OpenWith with any of both.

And yes, I know I am annoying with too many criterias, that's why I had problems finding something fulfilling my needs -.-

novenary

mpd doesn't need to be set as default, it maintains a DB of files and you play them by selecting them from your GUI of choice, not the file browser. I have mpv set as my default media player and it works just fine.