Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Ting, the Phone Service

Started by Caleb Hansberry, April 11, 2015, 05:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb Hansberry

I'm looking at signing up for Ting. It's $14 for a SIM card to activate your phone, and then $6/month for line access, everything else is postpaid, which sounds good to me. Does anyone have any comments about this service, and since a referrer gets $50 off their service, is there anyone who is able to be a referrer?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Yuki

Never heard of it, but looks interesting. Does it work in Canada? (Given the current state of telephony services, I'd be surprised...)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Caleb Hansberry

Nope, it doesn't work in Canada. Sorry  <_<
"The company doesn't have its own cell network. Instead, it buys network access from other companies at a wholesale price and then sells that access to people who sign up with the company.  In the U.S., Ting buys access to Sprint's mobile network. Canadian providers Bell, Rogers and Telus have declined to participate, the company says." (cbc.com) So the big companies in charge of Canada's wireless are blocking the competition, whereas here, they would do the same thing except Sprint wanting to remain competitive in the face of giants AT&T and Verizon which is difficult and requires innovation - Ting is growing rapidly, so it's a deal for Sprint.

And international roaming doesn't work well on Ting, their website states.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Yuki

Yep, that's something called a virtual operator, that is, an operator that buys access to other operators, and there's many of them, at least in Canada. But yeah, the industry is hyper competitive and wants to keep the prices ridiculously high. Which kind of sucks, not only for the customers but also for those wanting to get in the game, such as Ting. I also thought they were required to accept demands to buy network access? Or I probably confuse it with Internet infrastructure, which work kind of the same and are owned by nearly the same companies.

Anyway, if they manage to buy some access to one of the Canadian providers, be sure I'd jump on it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Caleb Hansberry

So I went with Ting, and for US residents, recommend it highly! The best thing about it is the ability to pay nothing for services you don't want to use, so for example, for starting I pay $6 for line access, then $3 each for 100 minutes, messages, and megabytes, so a total of $15 a month. And if I wished I could drop minutes and use data and messages. Or drop minutes too and only use data! Or not use data and then I could treat a smartphone much like a normal feature phone.  There's a lot of possibilities, as long as you don't use a lot of service - if you do it'll rack up faster than unlimited packages.

My only complaint is the service I get where I live is much inferior to Verizon's, since through Ting I use Sprint's service. But away from my home the coverage is usually good.

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, I wish we had that in Canada. Same for cable or satellite TV.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U