Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

pimath's VM - Twilight The Arch Mage (or Twilight, for short)

Started by pimathbrainiac, November 23, 2014, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pimathbrainiac

So I'm VM'ing Arch!

This is the one I set up on my PC at home. As you see, it has mate, and that's about it. I'll take suggestions here for what I should do with it.
[spoiler=large]

[/spoiler]

I also set one up at school (with the teacher's permission, no less). I'll get pics of that once it is fully operational.
Well, I'm bach here too!

novenary

Get zsh. It's the best shell ever. Also if you want some config files check out my dotfiles repo on github. ;)

unknownloner

Install the xfce terminal ( pacman -S xfce4-terminal ) because it's seriously the best terminal emulator there is
Also get guake for f12 dropdown terminal
vim/gvim (dont kill me emacs users)
custom icon theme (I use https://github.com/sixsixfive/ivy)
Don't forget to install Arial (and other MS fonts with it: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-ms-fonts/ ) or like half the internet breaks if you open a web browser.
get yaourt so AUR stuff is easier: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/yaourt/ it's like pacman for AUR

/)

novenary

Hmmmm I have to disagree on some points. :P
-urxvt is the absolute best terminal emulator and konsole is the second best (though it has  all that dependency chain <_<), also guake is based on gnome-terminal :P (not that I care about dropdown anyway, I use a tiling window manager and I bound a shortcut to open a terminal quickly)
-true men use vim in the terminal not gvim (seriously though it's much better when programming cause it runs in the same terminal as your toolchain, Ctrl+z ftw)
-I agree on ms fonts
-Yaourt is nice but you might want to check out Aura too. ;)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Get Manjaro! :p

No, seriously on Arch AUR you have a lot of useful or nice packages but beware, lots of them are borken. Feel free to register to their AUR and issue each problem you get into.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

unknownloner

If those other terminals have a solarized dark colorscheme built in I might consider them... Otherwise, no, cause that's why I like the xfce terminal so much :P.
And yes vim in terminal is best, except if you want to use a full RGB color scheme without messing with terminal colors (which is what I do). That's when the hotkey terminal comes in, so you use that instead of ctrl-z.
I literally just learned about and installed yaourt a few days ago, so no idea if it's the best. Easier than manually downloading package tarballs though! I'll have to try Aura when I get home.

/)

pimathbrainiac

Hmm... I think I'll install all of the suggested terminals and decide for myself.

Also emacs ftw :P
Well, I'm bach here too!

unknownloner

/)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Nah, just switch to linux's virutal terminal. SInce 3.16 i supports 8 and 24bit colors!

EDIT :
Quote from: pimathbrainiac on December 02, 2014, 05:54:14 PM
Hmm... I think I'll install all of the suggested terminals and decide for myself.

Also emacs ftw :P

VIM FTW, heretic!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

pimathbrainiac

Well, I'm bach here too!

unknownloner

/)

novenary

Quote from: unknownloner on December 02, 2014, 01:32:16 PM
If those other terminals have a solarized dark colorscheme built in I might consider them... Otherwise, no, cause that's why I like the xfce terminal so much :P.
Konsole has it, for urxvt it's super easy to set up cause the Solarized Github has a pre-made config file (Xresources). Also I use Solarized for everything, from my terminal colors to my wallpapers, including my window manager theme. :P