Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[HTML5][javascript] Platformer game

Started by ben_g, July 07, 2015, 10:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_g

Yeah, we use cloudflare now. We also run a script on our server every 5 minutes to check for ip changes and update the DNS accordingly. Cloudflare's caching is also enabled so you should be able to view a cached version if the server goes down for whatever reason.

Thanks for offering to host, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it yet, since spreading the website over multiple servers might get complicated.

alexgt

Awesome! it is (more) official now :)

I love playing this game BTW I am addicted O.O
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: ben_g on July 12, 2015, 12:12:23 PM
Yeah, we use cloudflare now. We also run a script on our server every 5 minutes to check for ip changes and update the DNS accordingly. Cloudflare's caching is also enabled so you should be able to view a cached version if the server goes down for whatever reason.

Thanks for offering to host, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it yet, since spreading the website over multiple servers might get complicated.
That said, I am personally not a big fan of Cloudflare, because sometimes in the past, certain Cloudflare servers were unstable and the result is that it was very hard for me to access Omnimaga even when it's up. This, combined with a long history of false positives when it comes to the anti-spam, is why CodeWalrus staff decided to avoid using CloudFlare as much as possible, except maybe name servers and HTTPS-related stuff. We only plan to enable other features if, for example, we get DDoS'ed or something.

And yeah ideally it's better to keep everything on the same server, in case one goes down. But also, you should try to make an offline, standalone version of the game that we can download, in case one day you move on in real life then forget to renew your hosting. It would be a shame if the game vanished off the face of the Earth as a result (like what happened to many MMORPGs in the past).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ben_g

If you don't like cloudflare, then use http://gamecommandosquad.tk/platformer.html instead of http://velocitygames.tk/platformer.html . The gamecommandosquad domain name points to the same server (and should be automatically updatet as well), but it bypasses cloudflare.

As for the offline version: This game needs absolutely no connection to the server to run, so if you right-click the page and select save as, then you can easily use it offline. Depending on how your browser is configured, the highscores may not work though, but I'm working on it.
EDIT: I may make a cleaner version that's actually made for offline one day, but that's not on the top of my to do list yet.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok thanks for the info :).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

I remember playing that a while ago. I liked it but t was very hard. Also since its JS, with the right console commands you can just teleport yourself to the finish  >:D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

ben_g

Highscores are now saved in local storage. If you had highscores before today, then you have to migrate them to local storage to make them work again. There's an option to do this in the changelog.

Unicorn

Oh, nice. I don't think it stored my level progress when I played though. Is it not supposed to?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

ben_g

It saves your best score for each level, to put that in the highscores. Currently, the game always starts from the tutorial, but I'm working on a level select screen which will allow you to start from any level.
That level selection screen will check which highscores are present to determine what's the last level you played, and it'll only allow you to start all levels up to that one, along with the first level after that. So if you've finished level 2, then you'll be able to play levels 1, 2 and 3, but not level 4.
Even though the level screen isn't present yet, the data is already saved.

Unicorn

Cool, I was worried I would have to redo it every time. :)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on July 13, 2015, 08:57:10 PM
I remember playing that a while ago. I liked it but t was very hard. Also since its JS, with the right console commands you can just teleport yourself to the finish  >:D
I wonder if in JS there are ways to prevent cheating? I remember that on Omnimaga, we had an RPG system in late 2005 that showed up in signatures, but if you disabled javascript, you could easily change your stats and grab the most powerful weapon. That said, in the case of Ben_g's game, cheating this way would just ruin the fun, anyway, so I don't see as much point to try blocking cheating.

alexgt

I need to have time to play this, I haven't actually beaten the game yet :(
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Me neither, I have always run out of time to play. :/

??? ??? ??? ??? ???