Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[HTML5][javascript] Platformer game

Started by ben_g, July 07, 2015, 10:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_g

As you may have already seen or heard on IRC, I'm working on a platformer game.

At first, this game was meant as an exercise to learn javascript, but I liked it, so I continued working on it.
The point of the game is to get to the green square at the end of the level, while everything that's red is out there to kill you. It's a simple concept, but the game can be quite challenging in some areas.
Here's a screenshot:

You can play it here: http://velocitygames.be/platformer.html The server we host it on doens't have a very good uptime though, so if it's down, just try again later.

To give you guys a challenge: here are my scores from when I was testing the score displaying code:

These aren't my best scores, but I did get a lot of practice while testing, so they probably aren't that bad either. Feel free to post your scores below.

Currently, there are 4 levels (including the tutorial), but more will be added later.

This topic is also posted on Omnimaga.

CKH4

Looks cool, I'll try to play it when I get some free time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Unicorn

Sounds cool! Im gonna mimic CKH4 and try it when I can (might be a while)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I remember seeing this a while ago and it was pretty fun (but hard)! I'm glad that you are still working on it. :)

As for the host, I think the issue is that you use a dot.tk domain name. Those have terrible (and sporadic) uptime, so if you have an alternate URL available for your site, it might be good to link to it as an alternative.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

I couldn't get it to work... The green ball seemed to follow my mouse...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

ben_g

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 08, 2015, 06:29:37 AM
I remember seeing this a while ago and it was pretty fun (but hard)! I'm glad that you are still working on it. :)

As for the host, I think the issue is that you use a dot.tk domain name. Those have terrible (and sporadic) uptime, so if you have an alternate URL available for your site, it might be good to link to it as an alternative.
The uptime is because our server doesn't have a static ip, and because it's internet cable is sometimes unplugged and used to watch netflix. If the domain name causes any additional problems, then we do have an alternate domain name (http://gamecommandosquad.tk/platformer.html), but it's a dot.tk one as well. It's our old domain name, but we keep it updated to avoid having to reconfigure some clients for some other service hosted on the server.
EDIT: I just set up cloudflare. The domain name is still the same, but dns updates are now done automatically, and if something happens to the server (like an unplugged internet cable), a cached version should still be available.

Quote from: Unicorn on July 08, 2015, 12:55:14 PM
I couldn't get it to work... The green ball seemed to follow my mouse...
That's strange, especially since I never check for the mouse. Could you tell me on which platform and with which browser that happened? Also try tapping all the arrow keys, since they can get stuck. I'll look into it though.

Unicorn

Windows XP on firefox, and I'm not sure what version. It seemed to follow my mouse for some reason, then stop and not respond at all. I also repetadly tapped the arrow keys.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Ben_g ah I see now. Maybe at one point someone could provide you some hosting.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

I got it to work, and it sure is addicting! ;D

Will there be a level editor?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

ben_g

Currently, this is my level editor, which isn't really release-worthy.

Including a level editor is a good idea though, and it shouldn't be that hard to make a system to load levels from something like a copy-pasted string.

Dream of Omnimaga

This reminds me how the data in my first Visual Basic tilemapper looked like O.O

Unicorn

That looks like the block dude level data. o.o

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Block Dude used strings for map data too?

Unicorn

We'll merth had a display on a cmd that was 0,1,2 making up the map for the original monochrome game.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

I tried that yesterday, it's quite hard.

And yeah, you can change the name servers on dottk now, I got one as well and I made it use Cloudflare, it should definitely be way better.

Also, if you want hosting, here at CodeWalrus we probably can arrange you something.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here