Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Driller kNight

Started by E37, April 01, 2017, 09:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the next release be for calc or pc?

Calc
PC

Dream of Omnimaga

I see why redoing the maps is necessary now. Reminds me how I had to redo parts of Metroid II Evolution 84+ from scratch because major changes were needed and I couldn't figure out what the old code did 
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

E37

Quote from: xlibman on May 29, 2017, 04:21:42 PM
I couldn't figure out what the old code did 
Sounds like my life. I can never figure out old code. Sometimes I try to optimize things... then I wind up breaking what I didn't understand in the first place and trying to fix it - which always winds up less optimized than before! Thanks for the support though! It is really nice!
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

E37

I am about halfway done creating the new levels. I also made a bunch of tweaks and added a new unit!
I would be happy to post a beta if anyone is interested in testing the game. On a side note, the game's executable code (no data) is reaching 30K
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: E37 on May 31, 2017, 02:10:05 PM
Sounds like my life. I can never figure out old code. Sometimes I try to optimize things... then I wind up breaking what I didn't understand in the first place and trying to fix it - which always winds up less optimized than before! Thanks for the support though! It is really nice!
I usually just ended up rewriting the entire code lol. Took less time. And this is why when I tried to revive Illusiat 13 after years of hiatus it died again almost immediately :P (the other reason being that I had started to lose interest in programming)
Quote from: E37 on June 08, 2017, 11:33:59 PM
I am about halfway done creating the new levels. I also made a bunch of tweaks and added a new unit!
I would be happy to post a beta if anyone is interested in testing the game. On a side note, the game's executable code (no data) is reaching 30K
Glad to see :D. And darn, that,s a lot of code. Glad you can still work within the limitations, though. I might be ok for a beta but I dunno if I'll have much time to test.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

E37

Quote from: xlibman on June 09, 2017, 04:19:10 AM
Quote from: E37 on May 31, 2017, 02:10:05 PM
I usually just ended up rewriting the entire code lol. Took less time. And this is why when I tried to revive Illusiat 13 after years of hiatus it died again almost immediately :P (the other reason being that I had started to lose interest in programming)
Quote from: E37 on June 08, 2017, 11:33:59 PM
Glad to see :D. And darn, that,s a lot of code. Glad you can still work within the limitations, though. I might be ok for a beta but I dunno if I'll have much time to test.
I have three more levels to make. I also added a lot of little things to make it seem like a pc game such as a text box appearing on tiles to tell you what they are when you hold your cursor there for a while. I even added scroll bars for some menus! 4 levels of difficulty has been added - easy, normal, hard, and insane. It is almost hard to die on easy and there are some levels I can't beat on insane. I added 2 more units to bring the total count up to 23 and changed a lot of old ones. You now receive a score when you beat a level. I have further improved all of the ai's to make them seem a lot smarter. (No more fighters walking past their target because it moved) I will post some screenies when I work up the motivation to deal with wabbitemu. The whole game is more balanced now.

E37

I am continuing to work on the game. I added another building and reworked monster spawns to make them make more sense. All levels now slowly increase in difficulty as time goes on. I may add researchable tech, but that will be an afterthought if it gets added at all. You can now press STAT on the unit menu to receive a summary of the unit before you buy it and to know which building is required to access it.

E37

Update: I will release Driller kNight on August 5

I added another enemy and building.
There is now a menu that opens all the controls in the game for easy reference.
All content is finished.
I will just be optimizing and testing until release so I can be sure I am releasing a good game!

E37

Everything is going according to schedule. I have reworked more mechanics to make the game more fair.  I have added a new unit and creature and a new ai type. The randomly generated level and godmode addons are finished also. I will spend next week debugging.

p2

Nice, glad to hear that :)
btw in case something goes wrong, how much extra time for such cases have you planned in on your statement to release it on August 5th? :)

(Rick and Morty Season 3 release sunday July 30 and only on adult swim, weeee!)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see development is going well. I personally hated setting myself deadlines because I never met them *glares at New Beginning of the Ultimate End*

Good luck with this project :3=

E37

Quote from: p2 on July 28, 2017, 08:33:42 PM
Nice, glad to hear that :)
btw in case something goes wrong, how much extra time for such cases have you planned in on your statement to release it on August 5th? :)

(Rick and Morty Season 3 release sunday July 30 and only on adult swim, weeee!)
The game is done now. So a week I guess. I am just playing it as much as I can now.

Quote from: xlibman on July 29, 2017, 12:55:11 AM
Glad to see development is going well. I personally hated setting myself deadlines because I never met them *glares at New Beginning of the Ultimate End*

Good luck with this project :3=
Thanks!

E37

Dream of Omnimaga

Is the update the poll? Once the calc version is done I would like to see a PC remake or sequel ^^

E37

Now that I have finished the calc version, I am working on a pc remake in c++. I have to redo all of the sprites for the computer. If someone is interested in helping to create the sprites, please tell me.
Any way... I'm moving forward!

c4ooo

Some 2.5D graphics would be nice. Maybe an option to switch between an "old school" and newer HD-ish looks?