Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Which license is the best?

Started by gogogoluke, April 27, 2016, 11:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

The problem I have with GPL is that it forces the same license to be used on the whole project the code is used in :/ Licenses are hard though, 'cause GPL of course has its good sides too.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on April 28, 2016, 07:16:25 AM
The problem I have with GPL is that it forces the same license to be used on the whole project the code is used in :/ Licenses are hard though, 'cause GPL of course has its good sides too.
Yeah I know, but at least it can prevent abuse or unethical re-use of other people's hard work. Of course, whether people think it's unethical or not  depends of their views, but as @CVSoft says, in the TI community in particular it is generally seen as a bad practice to take someone else's code, make it closed-source then use it solely for personal gains and disallow anyone to freely contribute to the forked project in the process. The GPL at least prevents that.

Personally, though, an alternative could be a license that requires any direct or indirect fork of your open-source project to be open-source if it uses over a certain percentage of the original code, while not forcing the new project to use the GPL. Does such license exist?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

You'd have to plan it in advance, but yeah, I think you can declare a few files as GPL and the others as another license. Like the Linux kernel, it's basically GPLv2 but I think there's some code/binary blobs here and there under another license and/or proprietary.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

calcplays

Having a license that changes based on arbitrary percentages of code utilized seems rather complicated and open to abuse.

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

A bit like what I said, each contributor chooses their own license for each contribution they make, that or dual-licensing.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I was actually asking in response to calcplays comment.

Basically, I am trying to find to find the best possible license choice that is not as restrictive as the GPL, but can still prevent a repeat of the Nspire Emu vs KarmTI incident (no hard feelings against the author of the fork. But I would probably have chosen a different license for Nspire Emu).

allynfolksjr